Democracy Campaign Director
Pennsylvania Voice is seeking a result-driven program and campaign manager to implement our campaign department's programmatic work. The position is well suited for someone who can shepherd a campaign from start to finish. The important work of this position will require vision, campaign program experience, and management abilities to serve as Campaign Director, overseeing campaign activities. We are looking for energetic, creative candidates who recognize the current threats to democracy and will bring innovative strategy and tactics, with an emphasis on organizing, advocacy, and communications. This position will complement and build upon our existing, robust voting rights and reflective democracy programs.
The Democracy Campaign Director is an exciting opportunity for a candidate to have a real impact through the PA Voice partnership policy and systems change that lead to a more participatory and representative democracy where all Pennsylvanians have equal access, rights, and a voice in our elections.
The Democracy Campaign Director: will work within the Campaign Department and will report directly to the Deputy Director of Programs and Partnerships. The position will work closely with and directly supervise the Reflective Democracy and Voting Rights and Access Program team members at Pennsylvania Voice and its consultants.
The ideal candidate will have experience in advocacy campaigns and coalition engagement, especially as it relates to the development and execution of public and stakeholder communication strategies. This will require a skillset grounded in data analysis and research. Additionally, knowledge of diverse communities across the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is strongly preferred. Finally, the new Democracy Campaign Director will be self-directed and have excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Experience with effective team management is required.
About Pennsylvania Voice:
Established in 2010, Pennsylvania Voice is the 501c(3) table for over 45 state and local based organizations, working year round to create a more accessible, inclusive, and representative democracy by amplifying the voices, leadership, and expertise of communities that have historically experienced deliberate barriers to civic participation. Our partnership is grounded in the belief that a fair and just society will be achieved through collective power; democracy requires full participation and equitable representation; and the pathway to power in the commonwealth of Pennsylvania values Black, Indigenous, Latinx, and AAPI communities.
Together, we win shared policy and civic engagement victories to build long-term power. A team of experienced organizers/strategists staff Pennsylvania Voice. We coordinate, support, convene, and co-create with a diverse community of state and municipal leaders representing distinct organizations around three program areas:
- Voting Rights and Access: Modernizing elections to make voting more convenient and fully accessible to all
- Reflective Democracy: Investment in community leadership and governance that is accountable to community interest and needs
- Civic Engagement: Creating year-round integrated voter engagement campaigns to increase voting, voter registration, and participation in civic life among all Pennsylvanians and specifically Black, Indigenous and communities of color
An explicit commitment to racial equity frames our partnership, our programs, and our culture.
The Campaign Director's Responsibilities:
- Supervise the campaign managers and other staff to fully build out and implement their strategies and their working groups to execute their campaign plans to the fullest. Serving as a coach and supervisor.
- Develop and implement communication and advocacy strategies with the Campaign Department staff, partners, and consultants
- Serve as PA Voice’s primary and registered lobbyist to advocate for the annual and long-term goals of the partnership.
- Coordinate statewide election crisis coordination to make sure every vote is counted.
- Research and analyze legislation and statewide administrative policy and track litigation, all on an as-needed basis.
- Provide strategic advice and reports to the Deputy Director on program campaigns and work with the Deputy Director to determine campaign strategies and goals.
- Work with the Reflective Democracy Work Group and Manager to ensure that electoral systems and structures exist which are conducive to a reflective and representative democracy.
- Work with the Voting Rights and Access Manager to ensure that all Pennsylvanians have equal rights and access in elections and expand opportunities to make voting easy, convenient, and secure.
- Assist in the creation and coordination of Voter Education Efforts
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Compensation: Is based on experience and competencies and is highly competitive. Salary range is $75,000-85,000 with excellent benefits.
Location: Location/Travel/CoVid-19 Operating Notice: Currently, due to the CoVid-19 pandemic, our staff is working remotely. The person hired for this position will work remotely for the rest of 2022. However, some travel, if/when it is safe to do, may be required within Pennsylvania, primarily in and around Philadelphia, the Lehigh Valley, and Central PA. The safety of our staff and partners is a priority to us and so if/when travel is an option, we will do so in accordance with recommendations put forth by Pennsylvania's local/state governments. Candidates must be based in Pennsylvania or willing to relocate if offered the position.
HOW TO APPLY: Please provide your resume and proposals. Proposals will be reviewed on a rolling basis with priority consideration by Thursday, November 20th. The RFP announcement will be removed from our website www.pavoice.org/jobs, and the application portal will be deactivated once the position has been filled.
DEADLINE: Proposals will be reviewed on a rolling basis with priority consideration by Thursday, December 10th, 2022. The RFP announcement will be removed from our website www.pavoice.org/jobs, and the application portal will be deactivated once the position has been filled.
Pennsylvania Voice is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. Pennsylvania Voice encourages women, people of color, persons with disabilities, people with records of arrest or conviction, veterans, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals to apply. Pennsylvania Voice hiring process will comply with Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Standards (“Ban the Box”) ordinance.
- At least 5 years of experience managing a wide range of campaign approaches, with a demonstrated experience with campaigns (corporate campaigns, legislative campaigns, and electoral politics). Experience managing legislative and policy campaigns is preferred but not required.
- At least 3 years of experience with the staff and project management, with a proven ability to implement a holistic management system that engenders a collaborative team culture and develops the leadership of team members.
- Experience developing and leading issue-based and campaign advocacy programs through grassroots and direct lobbying
- Demonstrated understanding of the Pennsylvania electoral landscape, and an understanding of how progressive infrastructures operate in relation to government and national politics
- Familiarity with local government and politics in at least one of these counties is ideal: Allegheny, Berks, Delaware, Lancaster, Lehigh, Philadelphia, and/or York.
- A demonstrated commitment to racial equity and gender justice and to empowering low- and moderate-income communities, communities of color, and immigrant communities.
- Significant experience supervising large, diverse, advanced teams.
- Prior experience with base-building community organizations