Position Summary: The Tahirih Justice Center seeks to hire a full time Chief Development Officer to oversee all development related activities for the organization. This position requires a strategic and energetic senior-level executive who can provide overall direction for Tahirih’s development initiatives, guidance and management of a team of nine professional development staff in the national office, and a similar number located in local offices. This role will provide expertise on institutional fundraising, major giving, fundraising events, organization campaigns and fundraising technology. The Chief Development Officer will report to the Chief Executive Officer and will be a key player on the senior leadership team, participating in strategic decision making and making a lasting impact on development and Tahirih as a whole
- Own the development and execution of an organization-wide Development strategy; support and guide local office development initiatives and oversee forums (monthly calls, team retreats) for sharing knowledge and building expertise among development staff across the organization.
- Lead the development of Tahirih’s organization-wide resource development strategy, collaborating with national and local office leadership, development, finance and other staff to refine and coordinate efforts across all offices. Lead the planning process for any new organization-wide fundraising activities and campaigns, and oversee the successful execution of such campaigns in partnership with the Chief Executive Officer and Board of Directors. Oversee the development of organization-wide budget and stretch goals that generate $10M+ in annual revenue, monitor progress against those goals and problem solve in areas that are at risk of falling short of budget.
- Partner with the Major Gifts Officer to develop and execute a major gifts program, including program design, messaging, research and analysis, and closure strategies. Oversee the identification, cultivation and solicitation of a portfolio of national major donors in partnership with the Chief Executive Officer, Major Gifts Officer and National Board members, and advise and coach the local office Executive Directors and staff on the cultivation of their portfolios and in building their expertise and capacity in major gifts fundraising.
- Oversee the efforts of the National Grants Manager and local office Executives to develop and execute an effective institutional funding strategy and supporting operational processes. Participate in identification, cultivation and proposal development of select National funders. Monitor the pipeline of funding opportunities on a quarterly basis and problem solve with local office staff on new opportunities or potential funding gaps.
- Provide input to the Communications Director and Communications Manager on the content and segmentation of annual appeal mail and emails that contain a solicitation or support a fundraising strategy. Review final appeal content for accuracy and monitor the reach and effectiveness of fundraising solicitations and direct marketing campaigns that have a fundraising element.
- Actively manage the national Development Team; promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement; mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis; establish and monitor staff performance and development goals.
- Guide and support local office Development Managers’ efforts to develop and execute fundraising events (including national and local office galas and peer-to-peer fundraising campaigns) to achieve maximum results. Coordinate with the Chief Executive Officer to identify and cultivate national-level relationships to secure co-chair and major sponsors and follow-up with donors and prospects. Evaluate new event opportunities.
- Oversee all activities of a diversified fundraising operation, including implementing overall plans and budgets, ensuring effectiveness of all development team systems and procedures and leveraging databases and relationship management tools to maximum effect. Own the process and training for recording gifts and monitor the recording and tax acknowledgement process for timeliness and accuracy. Own the process and training of recording fundraising and contact information in Tahirih’s CRM database, as well as database structure definitions, tools and capabilities and vendor contracts. Evaluate new tools and information capabilities as needed.
- Establish forecasts, monitor results, and conduct evaluations of fundraising activities to guide future courses of action.
- Minimum of eight years’ experience directing a highly motivated development, marketing, or sales team, preferably in a nonprofit organization
- An innovative strategic thinker with demonstrated success in creating and implementing development, sales or communications strategies to advance an organization’s goals
- A results focused manager, with a minimum of eight years’ direct personnel management experience
- Demonstrated track record in development, sales or marketing, including personally making the sale/ask and experience designing and managing events and campaigns
- Experience with capital growth campaigns highly valued
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including successful writing and editing experience
- Demonstrated conceptual skills and analytical capabilities
- Willingness and ability to travel
- Donor and volunteer service mindset
- Energetic, organized leader and a team player
- Strong commitment to Tahirih’s mission
- Flexibility and a sense of humor
Annual salary and benefits: Competitive compensation depends on experience. Generous benefits include fully-paid employee health, vision and dental insurance; a 401(k) defined contribution retirement plan; flexible work schedules; professional development including in-house training programs, staff enrichment retreats and other growth opportunities. Employees have a very generous self-managed leave benefit inclusive of vacation, sick and holidays, including an office closure the week between Christmas and New Year’s.
About the Tahirih Justice Center: The Tahirih Justice Center is a growing national non-profit organization that supports the courage of immigrant women and girls who refuse to be victims of violence by providing holistic legal services and advocacy in courts, Congress, and communities. Through pro bono holistic legal services, community outreach and education and nonpartisan public policy advocacy, Tahirih protects women and girls seeking protection from gender-based human rights abuses such as domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, female genital mutilation, honor crimes, and forced marriage. Tahirih is a Bahá’í-inspired organization and works to create a world where women and girls can live in safety and with dignity. Tahirih’s 100 employees work from offices in the DC metro area, Baltimore, Houston, Atlanta, and the San Francisco Bay Area.
Submissions: Please include a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references.
Please note: Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
Tahirih Justice Center is committed to diversity, equity and unity as core values. We practice inclusiveness in decision making through consultation with employees throughout the organization. Tahirih seeks to hire and retain employees whose diversity reflects the communities we serve. We encourage candidates who are committed to equity and who are from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and identities to apply.