CREA, LLC is a full-service Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) syndicator forming long-term relationships with investors and developers that cultivate success and improve lives. As CREA celebrates over 20 years in business, $9.2+ billion has been raised, contributing to the formation of over 73,000 homes within 797 properties. With over 160 employees, we continue to look for talented and passionate individuals who are excited about opportunities to grow with us.
Physical Presence: In-office
Location: Indianapolis, IN or Boston, MA preferred
The Managing Director, Originations is primarily responsible for overseeing the Acquisition Department’s origination activity on a national basis with a goal of “best in class” experiences for CREA and its partners. This role entails the management, coaching, training, & mentoring of CREA’s origination and associate team, oversight of CREA’s prospect pipeline through its proprietary database technology, development, and retention of CREA’s prospective and existing developer partner relationships, and communication/implementation of guidance regarding prospective affordable housing investments.
1. Manage Originations Group
- Located in Portland, San Diego, Indianapolis, New York, Boston, and Sarasota.
- Implementation of company goals, pricing guidance, and other feedback from the committee. Assist Originators with developer partner communication.
- Led by two individuals; one located in Austin, and one located in Boston
- Assist with the implementation of legal concepts at LOI, mentorship on the financial forecast structuring, and preparing/evaluating the Placement Committee memo for discussion.
2. Department Oversight & Employee Development
- Create, maintain, and implement dynamic departmental policies & procedures to accommodate growth and retention within the Originations Department.
- Provide support to Originators and Associates with business development strategies and solutions
- Manage, mentor, and coach Originators
- New business development strategies
- Existing business retention strategies
- Transaction structuring
- Document negotiation
- Issue resolution
- Pipeline management and prioritization
- Support the management, mentoring, and coaching of Associates
- Transactional structuring
- Create and implement onboarding and retention strategies
- Collaborate with other departments on transactional transitions
3. Communication / Meetings
- Frequent engagement with Originators and Associates to manage expectations, set guidance, and discuss workflow, challenges, & opportunities
- Participate in and/or lead various pipeline discussions
- Manage regularly scheduled Originations to call
- Participate in CREA Senior Management, Senior Leadership, and Acquisitions Account Management meetings
4. Transaction Management
- Engage in the evaluation and structuring of transactions
- Actively participate in committee meetings
- Assist in the communication and resolution of issues encountered during and after closing
- Attend investor meetings, as required by EVP, Acquisitions
5. Document Development and Maintenance
- Provide guidance on Originations documentation & process, KPI grids, enhancements of the lower-tier forecast, and the development of CREALink and other proprietary CREA technologies.
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university in Finance or a related field; preferably, an MBA. The successful candidate will have a minimum of ten (10) years of direct Originations experience and/or a minimum of five (5) years of production management/leadership experience within the LIHTC Industry, preferably within an Acquisitions capacity. In addition, the candidate shall possess an elevated level of emotional intelligence as well as the requisite technical expertise and soft skills commensurate with guiding an industry-leading originations team in the affordable housing space. Key traits include exceptional interpersonal & communication skills, ability to maintain confidentiality, team advocacy, conflict resolution, collaboration, integrity, flexibility, reliability, industry presence, and institutional knowledge are necessary. Microsoft Suite proficiency with a primary focus on Excel / financial modeling. Flexible travel schedule and availability to travel more than 50% of the time. National, State, and Local speaking engagement experience and proficiency required.
- We work as a family, investing in each other, worthy causes, and the communities we serve.
- We have integrity in all that we do; we embrace differences and treat others with kindness and respect.
- We believe that, with teamwork, we can accomplish anything and pursue inventive solutions for our clients.