United Way of Dane County (UWDC)’s mission is to unite the community to achieve measurable results that change lives. UWDC serves as a catalyst for inclusion and systemic change to address the needs of our community. Achieving our mission means being an equity leader and striving for outcomes that reflect a more inclusive community, supporting families and individuals meeting their own defined goals that are not impacted by experiences of poverty, systemic racism and discrimination. Our IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Access) Statement reflects our commitment to support transformative social change and to address structural inequities and oppression.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) work is critical to our organization’s success. As an organization, we seek to work in service of the Dane County community and all our partners. To do so, we need a workforce that is as diverse as all the clients we seek to serve – and a community where everyone can thrive. This position will work in partnership with Human Resources in the administration, development, implementation, management and execution of the internal and external DEI strategy. Serve as the subject matter expert in the administration of the DEI components of the organization and works closely with the leadership in program development and monitoring. The DEI Director is a pivotal member of the team, contributing to idea generation, strategic thinking, adaptive in leading change throughout the organization, acting as a role model in collaboration and demonstrably adept at fostering teamwork and a high-performance culture while identifying and implementing ways to build and strengthen United Way’s culture through a DEI lens.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
45% Strategic Planning and Operations
- Based on United Way of Dane County’s (UWDC) mission and vision, translate strategy into a tactical plan with clear actions, accountability, and goals to promote best in class equitable Diversity and Inclusion practices. Integrate UWDC IDEA Plan and aspects of the UWW (United Way World Wide) Equity Toolkit into the organization where appropriate.
- Identify short and long-term strategies to foster change leading to more equitable, racially just, and sustainable solutions rooted in internal and external programs, initiatives and discussions.
- Staff UWDC internal staff DEI/IDEA committee, facilitating and guiding the work of the committee.
- Participate on DEI related external committees, representing UWDC initiative, mission, vision and strategies.
- Staff the UWDC Board DEI Sub-Committee.
- Work with UWDC Vice Presidents on program development, implementation, accountability and communications; ensuring programs have an anti-racism, equity and inclusion lens, to include that grant development and awards take into consideration anti-racism and DEI.
- Program Metrics: Research and develop metrics for measuring the effectiveness of UWDC’s DEI initiatives implemented and prepare quarterly reports for senior management on how we are doing as an equitable organization.
- Design, develop and implement DEI programs and initiatives that create a positive change and maximize the performance and engagement of our external partners and corporate companies.
- Manage plans for specific DEI programs to ensure project/program timeliness and success. Develop a multi-year roadmap, key priorities, goals and metrics, as well as roles and responsibilities to drive accountability.
- Encompass outcome tracking and reporting, participate in sponsored community efforts, create and build external relationships with individuals and organizations that support UWDC’s diversity objectives. Develop a network of diversity resources.
- Develop, implement and monitor internal initiatives that promote diversity, equity and inclusion.
35% Culture and Climate
- Serve as the agency DEI subject matter expert.
- Be a support of all teams around the workforce components of our integrated DEI strategy.
- Oversee external partnerships, memberships, and networking relationships. Responsible for outreach relationships with DEI related organizations.
- Facilitates development and oversees execution of employee development and organizational training plan in coordination with HR, senior team and supervisors.
20% Coordination with Human Resources
- Work in concert with Human Resources to create and deliver DEI learning solutions that develop our employees, increase performance and boost our core values.
- Provide support, guidance, education and direction on DEI and HR related matters.
- Develop training opportunities to educate employees and managers on how to recognize, accommodate, and appreciate individual differences and how these can be bridged back to assist in meeting organizational goals.
- Serve with the HR Director and Senior Management to integrate diversity, equity and inclusion into core decisions through recruitment, performance management, leadership development, employee engagement and retention.
- Facilitate initiatives to focus on equitable recruitment and hiring practices, employee retention, wage equity, promotional practices and employee conflict resolution/disposition of discrimination and harassment complaints.
- Support HR in the development, implementation and analysis of employee satisfaction and commitment surveys.
- Coordinate with Human Resources to develop and report on the organization’s employee metrics as it related to DEI/IDEA.
*HOURS OF WORK
- Core hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 4:30pm.
- Some after-hours community engagement will be necessary.
- Possibilities for some remote work will be available.
Salary Range: $56,500 - $73,400 (based on experience). Along with the salary we offer a very generous employee benefits package here at UWDC. This position offers the options of health, vision, dental, life, and disability insurance. UWDC contributes 8% of gross wages to a defined contribution plan that is fully vested after 5 years of employment, and employees also have the option to contribute to a 403b plan. Lastly, we offer our employees a good amount of paid vacation, sick, and personal time off to go along with 9 paid holidays each year.
*Deadline to Apply: Monday, December 5, 2022, 5:00 pm CST
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Two years of experience within DEI practices, preferably in a leadership role.
- Experience designing programs in partnership with analytics, talent, culture and/or learning and development.
- Three years of experience training and presenting to large groups (20 – 50 people).
- Must be able to meet deadlines and be flexible.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, high level of organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Computer proficiency in Office 365, to include Outlook, Excel, Word and Teams.
- Bachelor’s degree required in social sciences, human resources, business or related disciplines, or equivalent experience. Master’s degree and DEI Certification preferred.
- Experience designing DEI strategies and delivering DEI programs.
- Familiarity with multiple lenses such as: race, sexual identity, ability, age justice reform and social economic status.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision and as part of a high-performing team.
- High emotional quotient/interpersonal skills and ability to work across functions.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage heavy workloads and multiple tasks.
- Considerable knowledge of strategic and business planning methodologies, continuous improvement principles, and performance measurement programs.
- Extensive skills as a facilitator for leading groups and projects that cross various organizations and program areas.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and coordinate group or team activities, engage in problem solving, facilitate negotiation and work effectively with diverse groups.
- Proven ability to build and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships with a variety of individuals, including the ability to effectively use conflict resolution skills.
- Organized, able to prioritize, strategically plan, and meet deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and conflict resolution and management skills.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to think strategically and programmatically.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to make sound, independent decisions and to execute such decisions effectively.
- Commitment to excellence and passion for the mission of United Way of Dane County.
- Commitment to maintaining an awareness of best practices within the United Way Worldwide Network and United Way of Dane County.
EEO/AAP Policy Statement
At United Way of Dane County, we not only accept difference — we celebrate, support and thrive on it for the benefit of our employees and community. United Way of Dane County is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We center community in what we do and strongly encourage ALL people to apply to join us in our work at United Way of Dane County—regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, justice involvement, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.