Salud Para La Gente (SALUD) provides high quality, comprehensive and cost-effective healthcare to underserved low-income communities in the Monterey Bay area, including Santa Cruz County and North Monterey County. We began in Watsonville 1978 as a storefront “free clinic,” and in 1992 became a federally qualified health center (FQHC). Today we are a primary health care network with 11 clinic sites, over 400 employees and continue to provide high quality services to patients of all ages.
Under the supervision of the Billing Manager, the Healthcare Coder will review coding practices and identify coding errors, collaborate with Billing, Providers and Data Systems to correct or clarify the coding or electronic healthcare set-up and ensure billing is successfully completed. This position is responsible for accurate healthcare coding information between providers, billing, patients and third-party payers.
This position supports the organization's mission, vision, and values through excellence and competence, collaboration, innovation, respect, commitment to our community, and accountability and ownership.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Complies with all legal requirements regarding coding procedures and practices
· Provides coding treatment information using Common Procedure Terminology (CPT) and ICD-10 codes.
· Generate reports and tracking logs of providers coding practices
· Communicates with applicable clinical staff about identified coding errors
· Reviews and corrects provider coding for encounter processing
· Follows up with providers and other clinic staff as needed to answer questions about treatments or diagnostic tests given to patients to ensure the accuracy of billing codes
· Reviews patient medical records and encounters for optimal and accurate coding
· Conducts audits and coding reviews to identify coding issues requiring follow-up, training and resolution
· Partners with Data Systems to ensure accurate codes are setup in the electronic healthcare systems
· Analyze provider coding and provide training as needed to maximize accuracy of coding and billing
· Prepare Coding and Billing training materials for Provider trainings, by specialty and payer guidelines
· Provide Coding training for all new providers and established providers as needed
· Assist with Coding research for new programs or specialties
· Ensures a productive work environment and achievement of goals through strategies and practices in line with the CARE fundamentals of communication.
· Consistently adheres to and/or exceed SPLG’s communication guidelines and expectations with internal and external customers including co-workers, patients, and external partners.
Knowledge of: Healthcare coding and billing for insurance and State and federal programs.
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC) through AAPC; or Certified Coding Assistant (CCA) through the AHIMA
- Knowledge of CPT®, ICD-10-CM, and HCPCS Level II medical terminology/codes.
- Completed/Passed Medical Terminology Course
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word and Excel
- Two to three years’ of experience in healthcare coding or the equivalent experience, training and education that would provide required knowledge
- Knowledge of Electronic Health Records (EHR) systems
- Experience in providing training to other staff members
- Bilingual Spanish/English
- Standing, walking, sitting, typing, reaching, bending, moving and/or lifting up to 25 pounds.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary: $52,620.88 - $60,915.24/year
Full benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision and Life insurances, Voluntary Long Term Disability, 401(k) with match, Holiday Pay, PTO and CME
**Salud is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. Salud is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, contact the Salud Human Resources Department, [831-728-8250, and HRDept@splg.org].**