Job Title: Thrift Store Worker, Entry Level –Part-Time
Department: Sacramento SPCA- Adoptable Goods Thrift Store
Reports To: Store Manager and Store Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
This position also provides extra coverage in wide range general Thrift Store duties. These individual responsibilities are critical to offering our customers the best experience when they shop in our store and include (but are not limited to):
Essential Job Functions:
- Cashiering, with ability to make correct change and follow accounting procedures.
- Price checking and covering wrap stands for merchandise
- Sales floor and fitting coverage and clearing fitting room stalls.
- Sorting merchandise to racks as defined by sorting process in the store.
- Ensure merchandise is placed on appropriate hanger in the correct department, following size categories.
- Utilizing and building merchandising fixtures according our store’s merchandising and safety standards.
- Performs visual merchandising tasks on the sales floor such as dressing mannequins, creating merchandise displays, maintaining a visually appealing sales floor for customers, and completing merchandising duties assigned by store management on an as-needed basis.
- Ensure merchandise is floor-ready; work merchandise back to the sales floor immediately
- Maintain high customer readiness standards by delivering a clean, neat, easy to shop store environment
- Be available to customer service needs in a friendly and helpful manner when approached
- Sorts incoming donations for quality and proper pricing.
- Tag, mark/sign, hang, organize, straighten, and stock donations.
- Ensures merchandise is rotated constantly to prevent over-crowding and over population of stagnant product. This includes proper mark-downs of older merchandise.
- Helps monitor merchandise prices for consistency, competitor-reports, over or under value, and sales.
- Must always present a courteous, friendly and helpful attitude to all customers, volunteers, and staff. Must not participate in gossiping or triangulation.
- Must be punctual, maintain regular, predictable attendance, and be adaptable to schedule changes based on the needs of the store.
- Must be committed to a high standard of safety, be willing and able to comply with all safety laws and all of the employer’s safety policies and rules, and must be willing to report safety violations and potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel.
- Occasional maintenance and janitorial duties.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule based on the store coverage needs, which may include mornings, evenings, weekends and busy events such as our Holiday Boutique.
Education and Experience:
- High school graduate or GED equivalent.
- Minimum 1 year previous cashiering, merchandising or retail operations experience preferred.
- Past thrift store or secondhand industry (including on-line sales) experience is HIGHLY preferred.
- Read, write, speak, spell and understand English at a level commensurate with professional job performance.
- Fashion-minded, sales-oriented, creative and progressive-thinkers are a plus.
- Must stand, walk, lift, bend, climb a latter, and stoop frequently to perform duties. Must have the ability to perform prolonged strenuous physical activity, including lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 50 pounds alone or up to 100 pounds with the help of fellow employees for short distances.
- Ability and willingness to work in an animal-friendly environment.
- May be exposed to hostile or abusive members of the public. Must be able to deal with a variety of public personalities and carry a fast paced and changing workload that at times can be stressful.
- Must be available and willing to work such weekends, holidays, overtime, and attend mandatory training and meetings as the employer determines are necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
- Applicants need to be flexible with scheduling
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees, but are not a complete list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Either employer or employee may terminate the employment relationship at any time with or without notice and with or without cause.