Job Title: Human Resources Manager
Reports To: Senior Director, Human Resources
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School's mission is to empower young adults (18-20 year-olds) to develop skills and connect to opportunities by fostering an environment of love, support, and respect for their whole person. Students graduate high school and successfully transition to college and career as critically conscious leaders, committed to positive change for themselves and their communities.
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School provides an outstanding alternative education that activates the capacity of all students to learn, achieve and grow. YBPCS will be recognized as a model of authentic experiential learning, not only among programs serving out-of-school youth, but also among all high-achieving schools and youth programs in the country.
High expectations, a nurturing climate, personalized culture and rigorous real world learning experiences ensures that graduates are poised for life-long learning and career advancement. It is our vision that YouthBuild graduates will emerge as highly accomplished, self-sufficient, self aware and socially conscious citizens. Graduates will be energized about their futures and build support networks for their personal, social and emotional health and well-being.
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School will maximize its capacity to engage each student’s passion, tap into his or her individual potential and provide him or her with real opportunities for personal and professional transformation.
YBPCS’ values are deeply held and come from a love of humanity and a perspective that views each student as a community asset. The programs three core values - respect, excellence and perseverance – are reinforced through all aspects of the program.
Young people in Philadelphia who are disconnected will build skills and access resources and opportunities to achieve economic stability and personal development, and become critically conscious leaders within their communities.
YBP is seeking a talented Human Resources Specialist to handle critical HR activities aligned with the overall HR strategy while ensuring that YBP retains a qualified and diverse workforce. The Human Resource Specialist must be adaptable and flexible while meeting the evolving needs of the organization.
The Human Resources Manager is directly responsible for the overall administration, management and evaluation of the human resource function. The incumbent will be responsible for performing day-to-day HR related duties on a professional and confidential level. This position carries out responsibilities in the following functional areas: benefits administration, employee relations, training, performance management, onboarding, policy implementation, recruitment/employment, affirmative action and employment law compliance. This individual must have a generalist background and have experience in all areas of Human Resources.
The HR Specialist must have a passion for facilitating staff well-being and a vision for how individual well-being contributes to organizational success. They must have excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. They must have experience with industry standard approaches to Human Resource coupled with a desire and ability to make HR equitable and transformative. The Human Resources Specialist will work closely and under supervision of the Senior Director, Human Resources.
Responsibilities & Duties:
The Human Resources Manager is directly responsible for the overall administration, management and evaluation of the human resource function. The key responsibilities of the HR Manager include, but are not limited to the following:
Policies, Procedures and Compliance
- Build and maintain employee confidence by promptly responding to their requests and protecting the confidentiality of HR operations.
- Maintenance of the employee personnel files and HRIS system (Paylocity).
- Coordinate updates and maintain the employee handbook and Human Resources Operations Manual. Communicates changes in the organization's personnel policies and procedures and ensures that adherence by staff is followed.
- Annually reviews and makes recommendations to the executive team for improvement of the organization's policies, procedures and practices on personnel matters.
- Maintains knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation and ensures organization's compliance with federal, state and local legislation pertaining to all personnel matters.
- Consults with legal counsel as appropriate, or as directed, on personnel matters.
- Ensures distribution of required employee notices.
- Monitor and advise staff on changes in labor laws, both federal, state and local level and ensure compliance.
- Annually coordinate staff evaluation processes. Keep track of the annual performance appraisals submission, and update the performance evaluation system as deemed necessary.
- Update the organizational salary bands on an annual basis.
- Maintains organizational charts and employee directory.
- Establishes and maintains department records and reports. Participates in administrative staff meetings and attends other meetings as requested.
- Maintaining and reporting on workplace health and safety compliance and leading the Safety Committee.
- Stay abreast of emerging best practices in non-profit HR management. Conduct regular reviews of YBP HR practices and recommend redesign or improvements.
- Prepare and analyze reports that are necessary to carry out the functions of the department.
- Responsible for mentoring and managing the Human Resources Interns as needed.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned by the Senior Director of Human Resources
Benefit and Compensation
- Participate in the coordination and accurate administration of employee benefits through the full process cycle (assists and liaises with benefits broker and carriers to resolve insurance claims, employee enrollment, general administration of benefits, retirement and FSA accounts, and ACA reporting.
- Oversee day-to-day activities for employee leaves of absence, short-term disability, FMLA requests, COBRA administration, worker’s compensation claims, PTO issues, unemployment claims, and other employee leaves issues.
- Approve invoices from benefit providers, ensuring appropriate calculation of premiums are being charged. Ensures appropriate billing of insurances, and submits payments to Finance in a timely fashion.
- Assist with the annual re-evaluation for cost-effectiveness of benefit plans and conduct benefit orientation, enrollment and explanation of benefits.
- Update the organizational salary bands and compensation program annually; conducts annual salary surveys and analyzes compensation.
Recruitment and Staffing
- Carry out all required tasks relating to employee recruitment/onboarding (posting job descriptions, diversifying recruitment strategies, interviewing, administering background and reference checks, conducting onboarding for new hires, including gathering all legally required new hire documents and relaying information about YBP and its benefits),
- Creates and facilitates new employee orientation sessions.
- Carry out all off-boarding responsibilities, including conducting exit interviews.
- Lead the design and implementation of monthly activities that promote a healthy organizational culture.
- Manages and coordinates the mid-year and annual performance review process; communicates timeline, process, and ensures all staff have a clear understanding of expectations.
- Provide coaching sessions to staff as requested related to performance management.
- Coordinate and assist with the process of rewriting and updating job descriptions as necessary.
- Works directly with department managers to assist them in carrying out their responsibilities on personnel matters.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, or related field required. Master’s degree preferred
- A minimum of five (5) years of full HR life cycle experience; HR certification preferred
- In-depth knowledge of Employee Relations, Performance Management, Employee Engagement, Talent Acquisition and Retention, Leave Administration, Compensation and Benefits, Training and Development, Compliance (Pennsylvania labor laws, including health and safety, Onboarding and New Hire Orientation, and Risk Management.
- Ability to build and maintain positive relationships with colleagues. An understanding of the role of people development and management systems in a values and mission-based organization. An empathetic and compassionate approach to HR that emphasizes people development.
- Experience in educating, training, and supporting staff.
- Experience in conflict resolution, disciplinary processes and workplace investigations preferred.
- Tech savvy. Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google applications. Extensive experience with HRIS and performance management systems, preferably Paylocity.
- Knowledge of City of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania state and federal labor laws, and government regulations.
- Strong commitment to professionalism and confidentiality. Exceptional ability to interact with all levels of staff in a professional way.
- A positive, proactive and service-oriented approach. Self-directed, solutions-oriented, multi-tasker, with excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills;
- Excellent planning, organizational, and analytical skills. Attention to detail is a must.
- Strong research, writing, presentation, and public speaking skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and handle competing deadlines. Ability to work within high levels of complexity, balancing multiple needs, projects, and systems.
- Ability to work collaboratively across departments and be responsive to internal and external inquiries.
- Strong commitment to educational equity and social justice for low-income communities of color. Demonstrated commitment to progressive social change and ability to engage in strategic and analytical thinking around issues of social justice.
- Mission driven to work with YB’s student body
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office skills
- Intermediate to advanced Google Suite skills
- Commitment to social justice
- Demonstrated values that align to restorative practices
- Willingness to prioritize data collection, analysis, and sharing
- Willingness to reflect on impact data and incorporate that information into routine decision-making
- FBI - Criminal History Report
- PATCH - Pennsylvania Police Department - Criminal Background Check (and/or applicable based on State of residency)
- PA Child Abuse History Clearance
- TB Test Results
- Act 24 - Arrest Conviction Form
- NSOPW - National Sex Offender Clearance
How to apply:
All candidates must submit a resume and a cover letter. The cover letter should include the following elements:
- Why you are interested in this specific opportunity with YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School
- Any additional professional and/or personal experience that informs your qualifications for this position, that is not otherwise obvious from your resume
- Your salary requirements
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee..
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, medical condition, veteran status or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law.