Founded in 2015 by Tim Leiweke and Irving Azoff, Oak View Group (OVG) is the largest developer of new arenas in the world with over $4.5 billion worth of projects underway in Seattle, Belmont Park, Austin, Savannah, Palm Springs, Milan, and Manchester (U.K.). The company has over 500 employees across five offices around the globe.
We are here to be a positive disruption to business as usual in the sports and live entertainment industry. At OVG, we own the space between the “What If” and the “How To.” We believe it is not enough to consider what our clients could be, we build businesses by dreaming of the impossible while thinking strategically and how to execute flawlessly. The status quo is our adversary.
We never forget that we are fans first and every decision we make is through that lens. It is that unique perspective that drives our passion for innovating and improving the live experience.
OVG is currently comprised of nine different business divisions that operate with one common goal in mind – to be a positive disruption. Each division is comprised of industry veterans who built their careers and reputations on the premise of leaving somewhere better and stronger than where they found it. Our immense practical and first-hand knowledge fosters an environment of trust, collaboration, and ingenuity. Humility is at our core. We do not strive to be the biggest – we strive to earn the respect of the industry and our clients through the world-class work that we do and we take pride in being the best. Visit www.oakviewgroup.com to learn more about our company.
ABOUT BALTIMORE ARENA:
Baltimore Arena is looking for an Executive Rock Star to join our team as Director of Security.
Opening February 2023, Baltimore Arena is a 13,000+ seat, reimagined world class concert and entertainment venue. A premier destination for fans and artists, Baltimore Arena will showcase over $200MM+ in renovations, including modernized, state-of-the-art acoustics, superior suites and exclusive club levels, premium contemporary seating, reimagined concourses, upscale culinary experiences in food & beverage selections, and more! Located in the heart of Baltimore, the venue will include a new exterior façade, green scaping and enhanced lighting, this iconic landmark will offer guests the ultimate entertainment experience in town. Rich in history, uniting fans with memories old and new, Baltimore Arena will host 120+ shows annually including the hottest artists on the planet. It will be a cornerstone of the City of Baltimore, committed to the community, and redeveloped in the heart of Baltimore. A new era of live entertainment awaits in Baltimore with the highly anticipated and reimagined, Baltimore Arena.
The Director of Security reports to the Sr. Director of Operations and is primarily responsible for the 24/7 safety and security of Baltimore Arena and the surrounding property. This position manages, supervises, and coordinates the day-to-day operations and risk management for security to ensure a safe and friendly environment for our guests, staff, and contractors of the Baltimore Arena. This innovative professional will have proven experience in guest facing interactive communication skills and be tasked with implementing policies and procedures that deliver an exceptional safe and friendly guest experience for diverse groups/clients in professional entertainment and sports industry.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Plan, develop and implement programs to ensure the security and safety of all Baltimore Arena guests, employees, and performers.
- Develop an effective strategy to assess and mitigate risk, maintain continuity of operations, and safeguard the facility including staff and guests.
- Oversee all hiring, training, and scheduling for all building security officers, full-time and part-time.
- Ensure security staff is knowledgeable of post orders, security procedures and guidelines regarding all safety and security incidents in and around the Baltimore Arena.
- Establish and maintain relationships with local, state, and federal governmental agencies and private sector counterparts for the purpose of security and to ensure smooth and effective day-to-day operations.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local law enforcement and fire safety agencies and personnel.
- Ensure day-to-day operational activities are managed effectively and meet efficiency and customer satisfaction standards.
- Oversee arena CCTV and Access Control daily management, screening operations, radio communications, and other physical security equipment.
- Create and maintain security strategies including policies and procedures with continuous improvement mindset.
- Oversee incident management system, document incidents, and maintain timely record keeping for all security documentation, including day-to-day and event operational activities.
- Establish and maintain relationships with local, state, and federal governmental agencies and private sector counterparts for the purpose of security and parking management.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local law enforcement and fire safety agencies and personnel.
- Oversee internal and external security investigations. Collaborate with Baltimore Arena management and law enforcement agencies.
- Work with all the Organization’s departments, including the Legal and Human Resources Departments, to ensure that security incidents and related issues and claims are investigated and resolved without undue disruption of the Organization’s business and activities, and that all investigations or other activities undertaken by the Organization’s security personnel are conducted in a fair and objective manner, consistent with the Organization’s values and codes of business conduct.
- Must stay Informed of critical events and be able to adjust operating procedures accordingly.
- Ensure employees adhere to safety and health policies and procedures to protect employees against workplace hazards.
- Maintain a positive and productive work environment and ensuring that the Organization’s commitment to such an environment is communicated to and adhered to by all subordinates and contractors.
- Conduct briefings with staff and senior management on safety and security matters as needed.
- Develop and review emergency response and crisis management procedures and conducting periodic training exercises relating to such procedures.
- Maintain a professional, service-oriented relationship with fans/guests attending arena events.
- Knowledge of alcohol management, crowd management and managing guests in sports and entertainment and sports environments.
- Establish policies and maintaining records related to Baltimore Arena access controls, including the issuance of daily, seasonal, and year-round credentials to employees, vendors, and contractors.
- Develop and manage a budget for the Security Department. Forecast staffing, equipment, and other costs. Monitor expenditures.
- Complete all duties as assigned, on a timely basis, and with a high degree of professionalism.
- Make immediate decisions and communicate with management, first responders, venue guests, employers, and performers in the facility in an emergency situation.
- Assist the Maintenance Department with Fire & Life Safety procedures.
- Comply with all Baltimore Arena policies and procedures. This includes safety, insurance, incident/accident reports, purchasing, HR, payroll, and accounting.
- Work with Baltimore Arena’s Event Department to ensure that each event’s building needs are met and staffed accordingly.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Work extended and/or irregular hours including nights, weekends and holidays as needed.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Required Experience & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university/school required. Relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
- Minimum of five (5) years in security experience. Experience in entertainment and sports facility and/or a public assembly environment preferred.
- Excellent written, oral, and public speaking communications skills. Ability to interact effectively with internal and external clients effectively in a professional manner. Demonstrated excellent leadership and management skills. Ability to articulate multiple complex tasks in a stressful environment.
- Ability to think strategically, and be resourceful, innovative, and forward-thinking.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, manage multiple tasks simultaneously, ability to meet tight deadlines and work effectively in a high-pressured environment. Ability to be on call 24/7.
- Ability to work collaboratively with management, staff, contractors, partners, and the public.
- Strong interpersonal skills with customer service focus.
- Skills in supervision, budget management and project management.
- Ability to coordinate and collaborate with multiple departments within the Organization, including, but not limited to, Finance, Legal, and Human Resources.
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with local law enforcement and first responders.
- Working knowledge of the National Incident Management System (NIMS) and the Incident Command System (ICS) functions preferred.
- Technical knowledge in areas of Access Control and CCTV.
Oak View Group is committed to equal employment opportunity. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis (“protected class”) including, but not limited to veteran status, uniform service member status, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other protected class under federal, state, or local law.
Strengthened by our Differences. United to Make a Difference.
At OVG, we understand that to continue positively disrupting the sports and live entertainment industry, we need a diverse team to help us do it. We also believe that inclusivity drives innovation, strengthens our people, improves our service, and raises our excellence. Our success is routed in creating environments that reflect and celebrate the diverse communities in which we operate and serve, and this is the reason we are committed to amplifying voices from all different backgrounds.
Updated Vaccination Statement as of 3/17/2022:
We are committed to ensuring all our buildings and office locations are the safest in the world for artists, teams, employees, and fans. Based on recent encouraging trends in the U.S. and Canada, we highly encourage our employees to continue to get vaccinate and boosted against COVID-19. Should circumstances change, we may need to reinstate vaccination requirements, in whole or in part, to safeguard the health of our employees, guests, performers, athletes, and partners.