The Chicago Sun-Times is the hardest-working paper in America, covering the stories and issues that matter most to Chicagoans with depth, integrity, and grit. The newsroom has earned eight Pulitzer Prizes for its hard-hitting investigative reporting, in-depth political coverage, insightful sports analysis, entertainment reviews, and cultural commentary. An industry-leading innovator in local news, it has been recognized nationally for expanding digital and multimedia reporting platforms alongside its indomitable newspaper, the oldest continuously published daily in the city.
In January 2022, the Sun-Times merged with public radio station WBEZ with a shared mission to strengthen local journalism in Chicago. Under the banner of Chicago Public Media, Chicago Sun-Times Media, Inc. (CSTM) is now part of one of the largest nonprofit news organizations in the nation. This merger reinforces our commitment to serving Chicagoans with the news that matters most -– fact-based, unbiased journalism that is deeply connected to Chicago communities.
We are seeking an audience engagement specialist to help us grow our digital reach, engagement, and loyalty, including our digital subscribers. The audience team is essential to ensuring our award-winning news organization truly serves our audiences and our community.
This is a multifaceted position in which the ideal candidate will have sound writing and editing skills. Video editing skills are a plus, as well as knowledge of social-media planning, headlines, and newsletter strategy. The successful candidate will have experience on programming fronts, taking a data-led and experimental approach to growing and serving loyal audiences on the website and app as well as a collaborative approach to audience development.
- Identify target news audiences, in alignment with the editorial strategy and create audience strategies across multiple platforms to grow and serve those distinct audiences.
- Curate home and section pages of the Sun-Times website to showcase the most relevant, timely, and popular content, using data and experimentation.
- Edit and publish stories following the best practices of SEO, storytelling, and audience engagement, optimizing content across multiple platforms to help target audiences find the content they want.
- Identify trending and breaking news – and write or aggregate stories that build audiences based on those trends.
- Manage Sun-Times’ social media channels, optimizing for sharing and engagement.
- Create multimedia content to enhance daily news coverage (i.e. video, graphics, text images, live streams, slideshows, social media embeds) and breaking news alerts.
- Help design and create newsletters to serve target audiences and grow their engagement and loyalty.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field
- Available to work flexible hours
What We Offer
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- Opportunity to work within a collaborative team culture
- Opportunity to be part of an iconic brand!
The information contained in this job description is not intended to create any contractual or other legal commitment. CSTM may change the content or format of this job at any time at its sole and exclusive discretion without notice. This role does not offer sponsorship employment benefits.
CSTM does not discriminate in its employment decisions based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, citizenship or national origin, veteran status, or on any other basis which would violate any applicable federal, state, or local law.