Would you love the chance to apply your data science skills to building a new machine learning and AI function using state-of-the-art technology? Do you want an opportunity to work in a startup environment within a well-established firm? Are culture, benefits, leadership, training, innovation, collaboration, and communication important to you in the workplace? If so, this is your chance to work for a company that has been rated by employees as the #1 Best Places to Work in Money Management for four consecutive years.
Vulcan Value Partners is an investment management firm located in Birmingham, Alabama and manages approximately $11 billion in AUM as of June 30, 2022. We are value investors—business analysts with a long-term time horizon focused on purchasing publicly traded companies that are competitively entrenched at significant discounts to intrinsic worth. Our data science team is focused on using scalable machine learning to extract actionable insight from datasets across the firm.
This position is open to college students from sophomore year through graduate school. The internship will run for approximately 10 weeks in summer 2023 and will be based in Birmingham. At this time, the Data Science team is not sponsoring visas.
 Pensions & Investments Best Places to Work in Money Management in 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 for managers with 50 to 99 employees.
The Ideal Candidate
· Self-starter and highly motivated to perform and seek out new tasks
· Experience with Python or R
· Familiarity with relational databases and a deep learning framework such as TensorFlow or PyTorch
· Exposure to modern techniques in NLP or computer vision preferred
· Highly organized with the ability to analyze objectives, prioritize tasks, and work independently
· Apply data science concepts to real-world business activities
· Interact with large, meaningful data sets that have immediate application to current business processes
· Engage in full-stack development process and Extract-Transform-Load
· Learn and apply Agile development best practices
· Gain exposure to the financial industry through working at an established investment manager
· Work with a team of dedicated individuals in a supportive and rewarding culture
· Assist with assembly, preparation, and analysis of both structured and unstructured data sets
· Streamline design, testing, and deployment of new and existing processes
· Actively develop data science skillset
· Complete a summer-long capstone project utilizing machine learning