About Second Stage Theater
At Second Stage, we create and champion plays and musicals solely from living American writers. On our mainstage Broadway theater, the Hayes, and in our two Off Broadway theaters over the past 40 years, we have developed and presented over 200 daring and provocative theatrical experiences by working with countless artists who have contributed their talents to our award-winning productions. As the only Broadway company exclusively devoted to living American writers Second Stage is dedicated to introducing the world to bold and diverse voices of American creativity.
The Director of Production is a leader of all theatre production requirements and teams. The Director of Production reports to the Artistic Director while working in collaboration with the Executive Director. As a senior staff member, they are responsible for leading the production management team of all Second Stage’s Theaters both on Broadway and off. This position will provide long term and seasonal strategic oversight. This position will oversee the Production Management team and oversee the production, creation and running aspects of all Second Stages annual programming. As a key senior member it is imperative the Director of Production creates a positive, inclusive and safe environment for all production and creative teams while maintaining a timely and cost-effective execution of all production events.
Duties & Responsibilities
Production Department Leadership
- Oversee the execution of all production operations in support of the work across Second Stage’s theaters and throughout the organization
- Collaborate with Artistic Director and Executive Director in creating Second Stages seasonal calendar and production calendars, ensure they are adhered to and oversee its development in collaboration with other departments, including any venue rentals
- Create and maintain annual production budgets; track all production and show related expenditures and generate expense reports
- Collaborate with directors, designers and Second Stage Artistic Staff to insure the artistic vision of each production remains within the available resources of time, budget, and personnel.
- Oversee and run all production related meetings as well as monitor the progress of each Production department throughout the production process in concert with the Production Management Team.
- Cultivate and promote a safe working environment in which Second Stage’s production department and over hire employees operate in accordance with current health and safety regulations and best theater practices
- Verify and uphold Second Stage’s compliance with local and national collective bargaining agreements (IATSE, AFM, USA, SDC and AEA)
- Oversee all production teams as well as recruit and hire new staff members for production needs for annual, seasonal and temporary employment
- Coach and develop staff members and over hires by monitoring the quality of employees' work and providing constructive feedback; facilitating conflict resolution among employees; ensuring adherence to legal and organizational policies and procedures; undertaking disciplinary actions if the need arises; and completing annual performance evaluations
- Maintain and approve direct report timesheets and expense reports, PTO requests, and other personnel records
- Delegate production work to the Production Manager and Associate Production Manager
Creative Team Support & Engagement
- Provide clear communication to all members of the creative team establishing proper understanding of Second Stage resources available to them including but not limited to Budget, Schedule and Staffing.
- Create, maintain and update design guidelines, relevant Second Stage policies and show calendars that will be shared with all creative teams
Skills & Qualifications
- Prior experience in a director role of a theater production department with 5+ years. Formal, informal, and cross-disciplinary experiences will be considered
- Outstanding Leadership skills with strong ability to lead multiple teams, delegate and communicate effectively across departments
- Experience, ability, and commitment to work with and foster a diverse community of individuals and teams
- Understanding and knowledge of Technical theatre disciplines including ability to read technical design drawings
- Budget management experience required
- Proven experience in handling production and design processes on large and small scale productions
- Working knowledge of IATSE, AFM, USA, SDC, AEA and LORT collective bargaining agreements is preferred
- Demonstrated computer skills including G-Suite, Dropbox, and Microsoft Office
- Working knowledge of and willingness to promote current health and safety practices of the theater industry
- Demonstrated creative judgment, excellent problem-solving skills, and attention to detail
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability and willingness to exercise professional courtesy and discretion at all times, and maintain confidentiality as required
- Strong time management skills with adaptability to changing priorities, deadlines and numerous concurrent projects as necessary
Compensation: $120,000.00 per year
Benefits: Second Stage offers a full benefits package including vacation, medical and dental insurance, retirement plan, life insurance and long-term disability coverage upon eligibility.
Second Stage values diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and is an inclusive employer.
Second Stage is dedicated to building an equitable environment that is mixed across lines of difference and strongly encourages applications from Black, Indigenous, People of Color, women, transgender and non-binary candidates. This position will remain open until filled and until a diverse and qualified pool of candidates is identified. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply.
For more information about Second Stage, visit www.2st.com.