The Chicago Sun-Times is the hardest-working paper in America, covering the stories and issues that matter most to Chicagoans with depth, integrity, and grit. The newsroom has earned eight Pulitzer Prizes for its hard-hitting investigative reporting, in-depth political coverage, insightful sports analysis, entertainment reviews, and cultural commentary. An industry-leading innovator in local news, it has been recognized nationally for expanding digital and multimedia reporting platforms alongside its indomitable newspaper, the oldest continuously published daily in the city.
In January 2022, the Sun-Times merged with public radio station WBEZ with a shared mission to strengthen local journalism in Chicago. Under the banner of Chicago Public Media, Chicago Sun-Times Media, Inc. (CSTM) is now part of one of the largest nonprofit news organizations in the nation. This merger reinforces our commitment to serving Chicagoans with the news that matters most -– fact-based, unbiased journalism that is deeply connected to Chicago communities.
An Opportunity to Make an Impact
In partnership with the Executive Editor, we are looking for an innovative leader who can guide coverage in one of the most exciting and diverse metropolitan areas in America.
The Managing Editor would run day-to-day coverage of news, sports, features and investigations as well as plan and coordinate coverage across our digital, print and wire editions.
The successful candidate will have a passion for local news innovation in both digital and print formats, a love of Chicago, and a drive to help create an inclusive and effective workplace culture.
You should have excellent news judgment and the ability to focus staff on the most important, impactful, and delightful stories in the Chicago area, aligning our reporting to community needs. You should also have a track record of listening to and engaging readers to better serve them, successfully developing staff, and leading collaboratively and empathetically through change.
- Lead newsroom staff to produce a distinctive, essential, and trusted daily news report that serves our diverse community and stands out from the competition.
- Maximize the quality and impact of the journalism we're delivering to meet our community’s needs, in line with the editorial vision set by the executive editor.
- As part of the editorial leadership team, lead newsroom discussions and decisions to help drive the best possible coverage, protect the Sun-Times's reputation and shape and execute the editorial strategy.
- Oversee coverage to ensure a wide variety of exciting news and feature stories are produced on a daily and weekly basis from all beats across the newsroom.
- Work with the Executive Editor and other leaders to develop an editorial strategy that serves the Chicago area, growing audience engagement and membership.
- Manage team leaders and editors, developing and inspiring journalists at all levels of the newsroom while creating a collaborative, supportive work environment to help a diverse range of employees succeed.
- Work not only with print and digital journalists but also collaborate with WEBZ staff, our news partner.
- Transition the newsroom to be more audience – and digital-first, instilling innovation across all our platforms and formats.
- Ensure the print product is of the highest quality, featuring our best digital content, and free of errors.
- Work closely with audience and visual teams on news reports.
- Communicate clearly, effectively, and regularly within Chicago Public Media and externally, collaborating effectively with different departments and partners, and bringing the views of the community and our audiences into our decision-making process.
- Guide original, impactful projects and long-term investigations.
- Work to promote diversity, inclusion, and equity.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a union environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related training.
- More than five years of media management and editing experience.
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong people-management skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to react quickly in a deadline-driven environment.
- Have some knowledge of Chicago and the Midwest.
- A track record of creativity and the ability to innovate and experiment in the mix of daily, evergreen, and mid- and long-term coverage.
- Ability to balance a mix of short-term and long-term projects and work collaboratively both within cross-functional newsroom teams and with our partners.
What We Offer
- A competitive salary and benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability coverage, retirement savings, FSA plan including a commuter benefits plan
- Opportunity to work within a collaborative team culture
- A flexible work schedule
- Opportunity to be part of an iconic brand
- This a unique opportunity to lead an influential local news outlet in an innovative, exciting market at a time when has joined Chicago Public Media, become a nonprofit and adopted a membership model without a paywall.
The information contained in this job description is not intended to create any contractual or other legal commitment. CSTM may change the content or format of this job at any time at its sole and exclusive discretion without notice. This role does not offer sponsorship employment benefits.
CSTM does not discriminate in its employment decisions based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, citizenship or national origin, veteran status, or on any other basis which would violate any applicable federal, state, or local law.