Department: Program and Services
FLSA Exemption Status: full-time, non-exempt
Location: Denver, CO
Supervisor: Food Program Manager
**The Gathering Place has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy requiring Covid-19 vaccinations. All employees of The Gathering Place are required to be fully vaccinated as defined by the CDC.
The Food Program prepares and serves healthy, nutritious meals to adults and children accessing programming and services at The Gathering Place. The Head Cook works with the Food Program Manager and supports the daily operations of TGP’s Food Program and the kitchen. This position is responsible for the full range of kitchen duties including preparing, cooking, and serving meals, menu planning and cleaning while maintaining a safe, sanitary and healthy environment
You might be a great fit at TGP if you have a passion and commitment for our mission, the services we provide, and for addressing the systemic barriers that our members face through a trauma-informed approach.
- Demonstrate respect, professionalism, and dignity to TGP members, staff, and volunteers
- Along with Food Program Manager, provides instruction to kitchen volunteers
- Ensure kitchen meets all health standards at all times according to the Food Safety System Tool Kit, Food Bank of the Rockies Safety Training, TEFAP, and Denver Environmental Health.
- Prepare, setup, serve, and clean up after breakfast, lunch and snack
- Assist in accepting and processing food orders and donations each week
- Help ensure all food storage spaces are clean and organized
- Complete daily check lists, able to work on a small team, and able to receive and give direct feedback
- Attend staff, department, and supervisory meetings
- Assists Food Program Manager in planning menus that ensure quality of meals
- Engage directly with members who are accessing TGP food program services to maintain a safe, low-barrier, and inclusive environment
- Assist with conflict resolution and crisis management and intervention, including verbally de-escalating to reduce violent and aggressive behaviors, and recognizing and requesting support when intervention is needed for an individual experiencing a behavioral health crisis
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary range is $21.58 - $23.74, depending on skills and experience
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Paid Leave of Absence plan, including Medical and Parental
- Life insurance plans
- 403(b) retirement savings plan
- Financial advising services
- Flexible work schedule
- Generous paid time off
- Long- and short-term disability plan
- Professional development opportunities
- Paid weekly wellness hour
- Free breakfast and lunch in our onsite cafeteria
- Robust Employee Assistance Program
About The Gathering Place:
Founded in 1986, The Gathering Place (TGP) offers services to combat poverty and address the impacts of marginalization and oppression that are often contributing factors to poverty or homelessness. By offering low-barrier access to a broad range of basic necessities and wrap-around care options, TGP guides women, children, and transgender individuals living in poverty from a place of crisis and instability to one of stability and security. In our relationship with the members we serve, as well as with our staff, we believe deeply in the power of our community and continually work to make it stronger. Our key values include recognizing individual strengths, building respect and trust, and offering unconditional acceptance. Our mission is to be a community of safety and hope where positive relationships, choice, and essential resources transform lives. To learn more about the work of TGP, please visit tgpdenver.org.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products; Outlook, Word and Excel
- Ability to learn TGP’s database for members, Social Solutions - ETO
- Skills in customer service; must be friendly and courteous
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment, be self-motivated, and strong retention
- High school diploma or GED
- Culinary degree/ certificate a plus
- 2-4 years of cooking experience in restaurant or institutional setting a plus
- Received Food Handler’s Card
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion:
TGP is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, gender variance, gender expression, marital status, citizenship, creed, ethnicity, veteran status, ancestry and any other protected classification. Applicants of any and all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Individuals with lived experience of homelessness, extreme poverty and/or experience with a behavioral health condition are also strongly encouraged to apply.
TGP is also dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace. If you’re excited about this role, but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with the requirements in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You might be the right candidate for this or other roles within the organization.