SUMMARY: The Viticulture Technician will work closely with the Viticulturist and the vineyard team to help with in-field work to further improve quality of farming practices and wine grapes covering vineyards for both the Silver Oak and Twomey labels. We are looking for someone who has a genuine interest in vineyards and plants in general, enjoys working outside, and has a sense of curiosity and desire to learn. The Viticulture Technician will be focused on scouting and data collection within Sonoma County and Anderson Valley as well as provide support with detailed orientated projects across any estate properties, including in Napa County. All of this being an integral part of the support in the pursuit of our goal in growing the highest quality grapes for premium wine production.
- Work with Viticulturist to scout vineyards, focusing mainly on Sonoma County and Anderson Valley vineyards with occasional support in Napa County
- Collect data including (but not limited to) shoot length measurements, stomatal conductance, phenological dates and crop estimates
- Assist with sampling for maturity, tissue and/or soil analysis
- Assist Viticulturist with logging data in AgCode, Fruition, and Excel
- Work with vineyard manager and management companies to carry out irrigations across multiple ranches in Sonoma County and/or Anderson Valley
- Complete various tractor operations as needed throughout the season
- Assist in the completion of special projects as directed by manager
- Other duties as assigned
- Genuine interest in viticulture and vineyard operations, some secondary education desired but not required.
- Computer literacy required, with AgCode and Excel experience desired
- Passion, enthusiasm, focus, creativity, and a positive outlook
- Commitment to excellence and high standards
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to operate various equipment with and without implements
- Good judgment with the ability to make timely and sound decisions with limited supervision
- Must be flexible with schedule; will be required to begin work during pre-dawn hours during some months of the growing season and Saturdays during havrest
- Commitment to maintaining and increasing safety standards as a high priority in the vineyard and workplace
- Ability to perform the physical labor necessary
- Valid CA Driver’s License and clean DMV record
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to do the following:
- Walk, kneel, bend, and stand for extended periods of time, frequently on uneven or steep terrain
- Taste and smell
- Lift up to 60 pounds
- Work is mainly performed in a vineyard. The individual is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles from pesticides and sulfur related to weed spraying and sulfuring.
- Noise levels can be moderate to loud.
- Exposed to outdoor elements; daytime temperatures can range from freezing to hot
- Night and early morning work hours necessary during frost season with exposure to low temperatures and wind.
- Hazards: Occasionally works near moving machinery parts and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and toxic or caustic chemicals.
The above reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.