Department: Operations & Facilities
Schedule: Full-time (variable hours; nights and weekends may be required)
Reports to: Director Of Facilities
The International Center of Photography (ICP) is the world’s leading institution dedicated to photography and visual culture. Through our exhibitions, education, public programs, and community outreach, we offer an open forum for dialogue about the power of the image. Since our founding in 1974, we have presented more than 700 exhibitions and offered thousands of classes, providing instruction at every level. Our new integrated center on the Lower East Side reunites our school and museum in one space to become the cultural anchor of Essex Crossing.
ICP seeks a Facilities Manager to support the daily maintenance, operations, and safety issues within ICP’s new building at 79 Essex Street. Reporting to the Director of Facilities and Maintenance, this position will help ensure a safe and healthy environment for ICP’s staff, students, faculty, and visitors. This role will provide oversight of the cleaning and security vendors as well as providing comprehensive support to those functions on a daily basis.
Essential Functions and Duties:
Facilities & Maintenance
- Direct the cleaning maintenance of building by managing relationship with external vendor.
- Handle all scheduling of cleaning staff and ordering supplies. maintain an inventory of all supplies and monitor usage.
- Manage supply budget
- Manage facilities Zendesk portal to address and process daily and routine maintenance issues.
- Ensure that museum and general office areas are maintained and functional by troubleshooting facility maintenance issues, performing handyman tasks, or coordinating the outsourcing of appropriate vendors, with the Director of Facilities
- Make routine walk-through examinations throughout facilities to identify necessary maintenance repairs and update a daily Log of what needs to be done.
- Manage the events logistics process and support operations for special events in the school and museum, working with colleagues in other departments to support event set up, cleanup and logistics as needed.
- Along with the Director of Facilities, respond to building emergencies at all hours and manage an on-call schedule.
- Support the Director of Facilities in working with contractors, including scheduling vendors such as HVAC, security, plumbers, electricians, painters, etc., to ensure proper cleaning and maintenance.
- Perform and assist with all general maintenance; including but not limited to; buffing floors; cleaning windows, carpet cleaning, and water filter changing.
- Managing sanitation: collecting, organizing, breakdown of boxes and ensuring pick up schedule is timely and appropriate
- With the direction of the Director of Facilities troubleshoot facility maintenance issues, perform handyman tasks, or outsource to appropriate vendors
- Maintain and document in Excel scheduled
Security, Safety & Compliance
- Direct the security coverage of building by managing relationship with external security vendor. Handle all scheduling of security guards and manage security protocols to ensure the safety of the space at all times.
- Provide backup support for security guards on-site as needed.
- Devise safety plans and schedule necessary fire and evacuation drills.
- Provide security training for staff as needed.
- Issue all IDs and replace lost IDs, with responsibility for assigning access levels for staff, students, faculty, and volunteers.
- Coordinate with Education staff to ensure the appropriate access rights and setup is done on the back end to facilitate their creation of student/faculty ID cards for building access purposes.
- Manage and secure keys and key log.
- Working with Director of Facilities ensure compliance by identifying and training other staff members in safety and compliance protocols and scheduling training as necessary.
- As necessary, support vaccine policy management for community members by ensuring that all enhanced cleaning protocols are followed and coordinating the availability of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) throughout the facility.
- Provide support as needed for evening and weekend special events.
- Create departmental usage supply charts and manage supply ordering and inventory for cleaning, office, and stationary supplies,
- Manage and coordinate all mail responsibilities including distribution and postage; Fed Ex, UPS, DHL pick up and deliveries, and maintain UPS shipping portal
- Run errands as needed
- Attend weekly Health & Safety Team meetings as key team member
- Regular communication with Director of Facilities and other staff as needed
- A Bachelor's degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Minimum Experience Requirement:
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience supporting facilities and maintenance
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills
- Prior experience in a museum or school is a plus
Specialized Knowledge, Licenses or Certifications required:
- Basic knowledge in HVAC. (e.g., change out filters)
Additional Competency Requirement (Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Knowledge of how to use basic power tools, drill, circular saw, jig saw, reciprocating saw etc.
- Strong organizational skills, including solid follow-through
- Ability to work within a fast-paced environment responsible for maintaining cleanliness
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work collegially and collaboratively; desire to work as an active team member
- The ability to think quickly on your feet, be detailed oriented and understand building priorities
- Mechanically inclined, strong problem solver
- The capacity to work with power tools
- Ability to manage work orders in a timely fashion
- Basic computer skills Word, Excel, Adobe PDF Pro
- Knowledge of how to use a multi meter
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be physically capable of lifting 50 lbs. or more, climbing stairs and ladders, working in tight spaces.
- Must be able to climb into cramped spaces relatively quickly in the event of equipment malfunctions and other emergencies
- Climbing stairs and walking throughout the facility multiple times per day
- Must be comfortable with all types of machinery
Special Environmental Factors: (Nature of the work environment)
- FULL COVID-19 Vaccination Required
- Capacity to work in a multitasking environment and the ability to be receptive to changing priorities, well under pressure; excellent time management, problem solving, and analytical skills.
- Must be comfortable with heights and tight places
- The employee is required to work in a cramped work environment.
- The employee is required to commute between locations
- The employee is required to work face-to-face in contact with the public
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
- ICP provides its staff with a generous benefits package featuring medical, dental, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, pre-tax transit and flexible spending programs, and 403(b) pension plan.
How to Apply
- Please submit a resume and cover letter. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered