Through tax assistance, advocacy, small business technical assistance and partnerships, Accounting
Aid Society is focused on creating an economy that works for everyone. Accounting Aid seeks a self-
starter who is as invested in economic mobility and poverty alleviation as we are.
The Marketing & Communications Strategist has the opportunity to imagine and build an innovative,
strategic program that further positions Accounting Aid as a valued partner and economic mobility
expert in Michigan as we use taxes to build relationships, and relationships to build futures. Under the
leadership of the Director, Community Engagement, the Strategist manages and implements all
marketing, digital media and communications initiatives for Accounting Aid Society and will be
charged with heightening engagement across all of our constituent groups.
Successful candidates in this role will be autonomous, proactive thinkers comfortable in setting and implementing strategic,
outcomes-based communications efforts across a multitude of platforms and outlets.
Coordination & Strategy:
- Develop messaging that positions Accounting Aid Society as a trusted expert and articulates and builds upon our tagline: We use taxes to build relationships, and relationships to build futures.
- Coordinate with program and engagement staff, designers and vendors to produce materials, help plan and execute logistics of community and press events, and other types of project management
- Lead creation of communications plans, talking points, one-pagers, and other informational materials
- Set and prioritize deadlines and production schedules, budgets and initiatives in line with overall communications plan
- Act as the central point for all external collateral, communications, social media and press
- Ensuring all organization materials, sites and listings are kept current
- Understand and achieve metrics goals
- Manage simultaneous projects and shifting priorities
Social & Digital Media:
- Lead online engagement, outreach, and storytelling through innovative digital media strategies, including content creation for all social media; strategize and schedule content for Accounting Aid social media channels
- Manage the Engagement CMS and all agency websites (2)
- Monitor digital media analytics and produce reports to guide strategy
- Help field press calls, pitch stories to journalists, track Accounting Aid’s presence in the media, maintain and update press database, and monitor the media for opportunities to discuss Accounting Aid Society’s work
- Build, manage and sustain relationships with print, broadcast and digital media outlets to increase media coverage of agency and issues relative to our stakeholder constituencies in the areas of tax, economic justice, small business and economic prosperity
- Draft op-eds, press releases, letters to the editor, statements, internal memorandum, briefings, message guidance, fact sheets, and other materials.
- Maintain the visual identity of Accounting Aid Society consistent with the brand guidelines across all public-facing content and materials
- Ensure consistency throughout the office in the use of the Accounting Aid brand and style guide
- Lead copy creation for engagement collateral materials, web content, and media relations materials
- Oversee production of print and digital publications and media office-wide templates, event invitations, pamphlets, flyers, policy reports, the website, social media and more
- Assist development in content production and publication of the Annual Report, event collateral, quarterly Newsletters/eNews.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience
- 3-5+ years’ experience in marketing and communications, with experience in nonprofits a plus
- Demonstrated success in project management and the ability to set and achieve strategic goals
- Experience in oversight or implementation of web development and maintenance
- Graphic design experience a plus
- Experience overseeing graphic design projects through to completion as the creative or non-creative
- Experience in public relations, press relations and social media
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual and long term strategic marketing and communications plans
- The ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical communications initiatives in a rapidly evolving environment
- A positive and proactive thinker with a can-do mindset
- Strong organizational and time management skills with close attention to detail
- Strong computer skills, including a familiarity with Microsoft Office
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Accounting Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.