FLSA STATUS: Exempt
PAY RANGE: $78,005.00 - $130,008
REPORTS TO: Executive Manager of Administration
WORK LOCATION: Temporarily located in Seguin, Texas - transition to New Braunfels in 2023
The Communications Director is responsible for leading the overall development and execution of GBRA’s internal and external communications strategy, public relations and social media platforms. This position is responsible for providing GBRA’s stakeholders and the public with information pertaining to GBRA’s purpose, goals, education programs, projects and accomplishments. Responsibilities include working in coordination with an external agency to develop and maintain brand standards. This position will serve as a media spokesperson for GBRA in public engagement, outreach, presentations, and the development of a social media presence. This position must establish public trust, a positive image for GBRA programs and initiatives in addition to creating and designing increased awareness and support of GBRA’s vital services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- · Leads strategic internal and external communication efforts through the development of an annual communication strategy, communication plans, message development and media relations
- · Manages all communication activities that promote, enhance, and protect the organization’s reputation to both internal and external audiences
- · Supports GBRA’s strategic and operational initiatives through the strategic implementation of communication plans
- · Responsible for leading and managing a growing staff of communication professionals
- · Reviews, updates and implements GBRA’s internal communication strategy to keep employees informed and connected
- · Maintains positive professional relationships with media members throughout the Guadalupe River Basin
- · Facilitates interview requests for all GBRA staff, providing appropriate preparation including talking points, scripts, and media training as necessary
- · Coordinates public engagement opportunities and provides presentation materials for Directors and Executive Management
- · Tracks, analyzes, and makes recommendations to grow and enhance earned media coverage
- · Leads organizational branding initiatives to include communicating and maintaining new brand standards
- · Maintains the internal and external company branding initiatives including web presence, style, content, and standards for presentation materials
- · Implements and manages the use of outside resources and vendors, including any contracted writers, integrated marketing firms, photography, videography, graphic design, etc.
- · Coordinates with community affairs and education in areas of joint interest including stakeholder communications, education and community outreach, and strategic initiatives
- · Maintains awareness of evolving industry trends and market development
- · Develops overall communications policies and guidelines, as well as specific programs and projects related to communications and media relations
- · Provides materials, researches, conducts special assignments, and handles general inquiries as requested by senior management
- · Coordinates the development of GBRA’s corporate communications materials and publications including special projects. Ensures conformity with mission statement, goals and publication guidelines. Publications include, but not limited to:
- - Annual Financial Report (ACFR)
- - Basin Highlight Report
- - Internal Resource Guide
- · Develops, indexes, and archives public communication filing. Coordinates efforts with Records Manager.
- · Provides public information and media relations during rainfall, flood, and other emergency events throughout the basin
- · Assists with message development and dissemination during emergency events
- · Assists with basin-wide planning, scribes GBRA portion of TWDB newsletters and Fact Sheets, sends reports to basin officials and provide details on programs to GBRA constituents
- · Coordinates GBRA participation in internal and external stakeholder events and initiatives
- · Perform other duties as assigned
- · Ability to develop strong, collaborative relationships with both internal and external stakeholders
- · Ability to interface effectively with government officials, media, special interest groups, employees and community partners
- · Skilled in planning leading and managing creative communication projects
- · Strong writing, editing, proofreading, layout and design, professional printing/publishing skills are essential, including ability to present concepts verbally
- · Superior project management and time management skills
- · Demonstrates the ability to lead and direct staff to achieve department goals and initiatives
- · Strong knowledge and understanding of current trends in digital media/social media
Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, Political Science, Public Affairs, Journalism, or a related field from an accredited college or university is required. Master’s degree preferred.
Current valid driver's license and ability to remain insurable under GBRA’s vehicle liability policy.
Minimum five years of progressively responsible experience managing communications and media relations including development and implementation of a strategic communications plan
Minimum two years of experience with social media platforms
Knowledge of utilities or municipalities a plus
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Standard physical activity such as periodic standing, walking, sitting, and basic motor skills to operate necessary computer programs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.