Emergency Shelter Associate
Department: Programs and Services; Emergency Shelter
FLSA Exemption Status: Non-Exempt, Part-Time
Location: Denver, CO
Supervisor: Emergency Shelter Overnight Program Manager
Schedule: On-Call, Overnight, Weekdays & Weekends
**The Gathering Place has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy requiring Covid-19 vaccinations. All employees of The Gathering Place are required to be fully vaccinated as defined by the CDC.
This position contributes to creating a safe and welcoming environment at our Auxiliary Shelter for shelter guests who are experiencing homelessness and often times are struggling with issues such as mental health, physical heath, substance misuse, and/or complex trauma. Shelter Associates provide basic services, milieu management, and crisis intervention.
You might be a great fit at TGP if you have a passion and commitment for our mission, the services we provide, and for addressing the systemic barriers that our members face through a trauma-informed approach.
- Engage with guests daily in order to build positive relationships and enrich our community.
- Speak with guests directly to provide information, referrals, and crisis intervention on a daily basis.
- Provides guests with access to services such as showers, meals, laundry, and basic needs following established shelter protocols
- Connect guests, as appropriate, to service providers for medical, mental health, and substance misuse support.
- Milieu management in order to maintain a safe environment for the community at all times.
- Assist with crisis management and intervention, including verbally de-escalating to reduce violent and aggressive behaviors, addressing inappropriate drug and alcohol related behaviors, and providing intervention for people experiencing mental health crisis.
- Interact with volunteers and collaborative agencies to ensure that daily services are delivered seamlessly
- Works as a member of a team with the expectation of frequent and effective communication, including but not limited to, timely review and response to e-mail, and attendance of staff meetings and training.
- Maintains confidentiality of all guests
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
About The Gathering Place
Founded in 1986, The Gathering Place (TGP) offers services to combat poverty and address the impacts of marginalization and oppression that are often contributing factors to poverty or homelessness. By offering low-barrier access to a broad range of basic necessities and wrap-around care options, TGP guides women, children, and transgender folx living in poverty from a place of crisis and instability to one of stability and security. In our relationship with the members we serve, as well as with our staff, we believe deeply in the power of our community and continually work to make it stronger. Our key values include recognizing individual strengths, building respect and trust, and offering unconditional acceptance. Our mission is to be a community of safety and hope where positive relationships, choice, and essential resources transform lives. To learn more about the work of TGP, please visit tgpdenver.org.
- Previous shelter and/or homeless service experience, including knowledge of resources in Denver for homeless individuals and families, a plus.
- Minimum of high school diploma or GED, or equivalent experience working with people in crisis, or who are experiencing mental health, substance misuse, or other challenges.
- Ability to successfully manage conflicts, including understanding of effective verbal de-escalation techniques, and ability to effectively verbally de-escalate individuals in crisis
- Ability to listen compassionately and suspend judgment in order to accommodate the needs of individuals and include them in a highly diverse setting.
- Ability to communicate clearly orally and in writing.
- Ability to operate a computer and other office productivity equipment, such as printers and copy machines. Current knowledge of or desire to learn Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and other computer programs and software.
- Ability to multi-task in a unique, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently and in a variety of work group sizes
- Spanish speaking a plus.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
TGP is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, gender variance, gender expression, marital status, citizenship, creed, ethnicity, veteran status, ancestry and any other protected classification. Applicants of any and all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Individuals with lived experience of homelessness, extreme poverty and/or experience with a behavioral health condition are also strongly encouraged to apply.
TGP is also dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace. If you’re excited about this role, but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with the requirements in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You might be the right candidate for this or other roles within the organization.