Nickol Global Solutions LLC (NGS) seeks a full-time Communications Advisor under a support contract with USAID's Office of Transition Initiatives (OTI). USAID/OTI is a fast-paced, dynamic organization that supports U.S. foreign policy objectives by helping local partners advance peace and democracy by providing fast, flexible, short-term assistance targeted at key political transition and stabilization needs. The candidate will work closely with OTI’s Communications Team for up to one year and can expect to have a substantive and rewarding experience as a fully integrated member of this dynamic and fast-paced office.
As a member of the Communications team, the Communications Advisor will execute a wide variety of communications tasks, having the opportunity to lead or fully manage certain tasks depending on the Advisor’s area(s) of expertise. The Communications Advisor will be an integral member of the team and contribute to implementation of the Office’s strategic communications plan, tasks may include (but are not limited to):
- Build relationships with and assist the three OTI divisions - the Field Programs Division in particular -- with the development of information management products for relevant stakeholders. Assist with and provide updated guidance for and recommendations on current OTI communications products.
- Help execute and track developments supporting the OTI’s office-wide Annual Communications Strategy.
- As needed, serve as the Acting team manager overseeing all aspects of the team’s multifaceted projects and staffing Help manage the OTI website and social media portfolio, including drafting of Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter posts, and introduce creative ways to generate original content.
- Collecting and synthesizing information pertaining to USAID/OTI’s work to promote stability, peace, and democracy. The Communications Advisor will draft, edit, appropriately format, and review a wide range of internal and external information and written and multimedia products in Washington, D.C., and overseas and ensure that the team’s work meet quality standards.
- Craft and/or copyedit of official correspondence, fact sheets, success stories, social media posts, memos and PowerPoint presentations.
- Track, manage, and coordinate clearances across the office in response to information requests (Taskers).
- For non-technical audiences, write, edit, and substantively copy edit content, including: fact sheets, blogs, presentations, newsletters, and web and social media copy. Work with graphic designers to develop infographics and other visuals to use as standalone resources and/or in other products.
- Manage and maintain annual editorial calendar - monitoring the progress of drafts, reviews and revisions to ensure that deadlines are met for annual reports and publications.
- Help deliver Communications-specific trainings on communications-related topics for OTI staff (Photography Training, Briefing Trainings, etc).
- Support videography and photography project development, as needed.
- Carry-out additional responsibilities as assigned.
Qualified candidates should possess excellent writing, editing, and verbal communications skills and have exceptional attention to detail. Candidates must be flexible and able to work under tight deadlines in an extremely fast-paced and collaborative environment to produce high-quality materials for external consumption. Successful candidates are versatile self-starters and creative thinkers with the capability to see the big picture and also the details of a project. They demonstrate good judgment, innovation, versatility, and integrity.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field (international affairs, communications, media/production etc.).
- 7+ years of experience in related roles.
- Ability to accurately collect and synthesize information for non-technical audiences and craft that information into communications products (incl: fact sheets, success stories, social media posts, and memos).
- Excellent writing and editing conforming to the Chicago Manual of Style.
- Outstanding organization and project management skills, with the ability to execute multiple projects simultaneously with tight deadlines and prioritize personal workload in an evolving environment.
- This position requires a US Government Secret clearance. US Citizenship is required.
- Experience as a writer, editor, reporter, producer or communications specialist.
- Prior experience curating and creating original, and compelling social media content for an organization or office.
- Working knowledge of and interest in international development issues.
- Current Secret security clearance.