Position Summary: Tahirih is seeking to hire a Director of Communications Responsible to oversee the development, integration, and implementation of a communications plan that includes a broad range of public relations and communications tactics aligned to the strategic direction and priorities of the Tahirih Justice Center and its leadership. The Director of Communications is responsible for designing cross-functional and cross-office communications activities that promote, enhance, and advance the work, vision, and reputation of Tahirih. Communications strategies shall position Tahirih as a leading voice and legal expert on issues relating to immigrant women.
Essential Job Functions:
- Designs and leads a communications plan that is aligned with the mission and vision of Tahirih, implemented with measurable outcomes, communicated with traditional and new communication tactics and tools, and leverages internal collaboration for effectiveness.
- Continually develops new and improved approaches to advance Tahirih’s program strategies and initiatives, and effectively utilizes social media and other online vehicles to ensure information about Tahirih is accurate, consistent and accessible to external audiences and members.
- Reinforces, trains and grows Tahirih’s staff and local office capacity to engage effectively with key audiences and members about the mission, program outcomes and goals in alignment with Tahirih’s core values.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees the development of timelines and action plans to drive key external communications projects to completion.
- Oversees the creation of content, serving as an editor-in-chief for key strategic internal and external deliverables including press releases, media advisories, one-pagers, talking points, blogs, newsletters, annual reports, white papers, videos, special events, campaigns, appeals, etc.
- Ensures a deepening interconnection and cross-pollination among Tahirih’s programs and initiatives.
- In collaboration with other teams, supports the development and implementation of a communications and marketing strategy for externally facing programs and services.
- Works with colleagues across departments to ensure consistent messaging and understanding of Tahirih’s brand and value proposition.
- Serves as the communications lead for all Tahirih-produced research publications, surveys and reports, including providing editing support and guidance on communications roll-out strategies.
- Leads communications efforts surrounding rapid-response issues.
- Actively engages, cultivates and manages press and media relationships to ensure coverage of Tahirih’s programming, public advocacy, organizational progress and key partnerships by pitching stories, distributing press releases, handling media inquiries, and implementing other communication innovations.
- Leads efforts to internally socialize a communications plan aligned with the mission and vision of Tahirih that increases the competency of all staff to communicate with members, partners, stakeholders and the general public.
- Provides talking points, FAQs and other materials as needed to prepare the executive team, leadership team and others for external communications and speaking engagements.
- Tracks media coverage of Tahirih and provides monthly analysis reports of successes, gaps and opportunities.
- Monitors online news and social media for breaking stories, developments in or related to philanthropy and communications, industry trends, and relevant commentary, providing regular updates to the team on articles, issues and relevant news.
- Offers an internal “client service” experience with local offices, demonstrating the ability to manage priorities while maintaining strong relationships with internal, cross-functional team members.
- Engages and forges positive working relationships with Tahirih members, leaders in the field, and important mainstream and electronic media.
- Works collaboratively across the organization to strengthen Tahirih’s messaging, to maintain and increase Tahirih’s membership and to advance Tahirih’s fiscal goals.
- Ensures brand-consistency, messaging accuracy and quality of collateral materials for local office galas.
- Drafts, vets with key stakeholders, and monitors progress toward the strategic and operational outcomes for which the Communications Team will be responsible.
- Supervises a team of three employees plus two primary service vendors (media and direct mail)
- Develops and manages an annual budget for communications
- Demonstrates competency and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Works cooperatively, respectfully and collaboratively with other employees and as a team player.
- Accepts and incorporates constructive suggestions for improving job performance from supervisors and colleagues.
- Exercises wisdom, discretion and independent judgment.
- More than 10 years of strategic communications experience including experience leading an organization’s communications functions in a supervisory capacity.
- Experience defining communications strategies and overseeing the generation and delivery of powerful verbal, graphic and written communication in support of the strategies.
- Knowledge of communications outcomes and metrics, and ability to identify and plan around key drivers (e.g., segmentation, progress indicators).
- Experience creating and executing innovative strategic communications and/or media outreach plans for a range of projects, initiatives and campaigns.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate, prioritize and manage priorities and tasks collaboratively, flexibly, gracefully and as a team player in a rapidly changing environment.
- Outstanding written communication skills including experience preparing press releases, news articles and other content.
- Outstanding verbal communication skills including experience preparing and giving presentations and working with the media at events.
- Outstanding ability to build strategic partnerships and manage effective client-service relationships.
- Experience using Salesforce or other CRM system required
Annual salary and benefits: Competitive compensation depends on experience. Generous benefits include fully-paid employee health, vision and dental insurance; a 401(k) defined contribution retirement plan; flexible work schedules; professional development including in-house training programs, staff enrichment retreats and other growth opportunities. Employees have a very generous self-managed leave benefit inclusive of vacation, sick and holidays, including an office closure the week between Christmas and New Year’s.
About the Tahirih Justice Center: The Tahirih Justice Center is a growing national non-profit organization that supports the courage of immigrant women and girls who refuse to be victims of violence by providing holistic legal services and advocacy in courts, Congress, and communities. Through pro bono holistic legal services, community outreach and education and nonpartisan public policy advocacy, Tahirih protects women and girls seeking protection from gender-based human rights abuses such as domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, female genital mutilation, honor crimes, and forced marriage. Tahirih is a Bahá’í-inspired organization and works to create a world where women and girls can live in safety and with dignity. Tahirih’s 90 employees work from offices in the DC metro area, Baltimore, Houston, Atlanta, and the San Francisco Bay Area.
Submissions: Please include a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references.
Please note: Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
Tahirih Justice Center is committed to diversity, equity and unity as core values. We practice inclusiveness in decision making through consultation with employees throughout the organization. Tahirih seeks to hire and retain employees whose diversity reflects the communities we serve. We encourage candidates who are committed to equity and who are from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and identities to apply.