Part Time 15 hours a week
The Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse will promote the academic progress/success of students by assisting them to maintain, improve or adapt to their health status. The RN would also contribute significantly to the attainment of optimal health and educational potential of each student and cares for students with complex and unpredictable medical and psychosocial problems.
SUPERVISOR: Director of Health Services
FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Administer medication and treatment in accordance with the regulations of the Professional Nursing Law.
Assist with the Massachusetts mandated school screenings for the purpose of identifying results that require a referral.
Assess situations involving student’s health related issues and safety for the purpose of identifying problems.
Initiate referrals to parents for intervention, treatment and follow-through of health issues.
Counsel students and families on health and lifestyle issues to facilitate a healthier student population.
Collaborate with parents, employees, health care providers and/or public agencies for the purpose of promoting and/or securing student health services.
Develop a care plan for students and provide direction to the employees and/or implements directions provided by the parents and/or physicians.
Identifies the health care need of a specific student population and availability of health services/resources.
Medical and psychiatric assessments.
Planned and emergency medical aid to students.
Liaison to the emergency room, parents and administrator on call, related to students medical and psychiatric needs.
Medication preparation for student field trips, sporting events and home visits.
Maintain health record compliance in all areas of nursing operation.
Provide student health education.
**Some lifting may be required when working with young students or students with special needs, however, TLC embraces and celebrates a spirit of inclusion and diversity, and reasonable accommodations and modifications will be made whenever possible. The diversity of our student population may require that some assignments have a heavier physical responsibility due to safety. If the opening for which you are applying will require more strenuous physical activity, the unique needs will be discussed at the time of interview.
*Perform other tasks as assigned by the Department Supervisor.
• Massachusetts Registered Nurse licensure or Licensed Practical Nurse
• Current and valid MA DESE School Nurse license preferred/ Not required
• Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing preferred/ Not required
• Knowledge of the diverse health, social, and educational needs of students and families
• Comprehensive knowledge of school health programs, philosophy, and objectives
• Certified in CPR and First Aid
• Pediatric, psychiatric, ambulatory care, emergency or residential/school nurse experience preferred
• Strong Microsoft Office skills and proficient with Mac/Apple computers
• Assumes responsibility for continuing education and professional growth
• ASL fluency preferred, willingness to learn required
• Ability to work both collaboratively and independently
• Strong detail, organizational, triage, assessment, communication, and
• Ability to keep company and student information confidential