Highlands Recreation District is growing!! Come work for a vibrant and enthusiastic recreation team who takes pride in serving the community and providing exceptional guest experiences. Our offerings include early childhood education programs, aquatics, after school programs, tennis, and a wide variety of unique classes and activities for all ages groups. Be part of a tight knit community and work environment that feels like a family.
Under the direct supervision of the General Manager and other department heads, the administrative assistant will assist with general administrative duties, customer service, payroll and HR functions.
Personnel assigned to this position must have strong commination skills, the ability to multitask, be a quick learner and team player.
- Coordinates various HR functions including new hire onboarding and orientations, conducts background investigations, and collecting I-9 documentation, etc.
- Assist with payroll processing/reporting.
- Assists the District management staff by answering phones, taking messages, typing letters and memos.
- Update office bulletin board & activity binders.
- Help type and mail minutes; make reminder calls.
- Assist in the development and creating of surveys to distribute to the community.
- Accept and process registrations for all classes offered and processing payments.
- Assist the General Manager with record management activities; assist with the production of such documents such as Board Meeting packets, schedules work; drafts meeting minutes and routine correspondence.
- Knowledgeable in answering any questions regarding Recreation Center classes and programs.
- Knowledge of a variety of social media platforms and ability to develop content for regular updates.
- Supports Recreation/Events/Rental Coordinator with a variety of tasks including, but not limited to: programming, marketing/promotion, facility set-up + communication.
- Other tasks and assignments as determined by the General Manager.
- High school diploma or equivalent experience
- Experience with customer contact and public relations
- Handle multiple tasks while handling busy phone lines and requests
- Deal with conflicts or complaints in a positive, non-threatening way
- Provide community assistance as needed
- Take initiative in performing tasks
- Work unsupervised
- Knowledge of HR best practices and payroll data entry is desirable
- Experience developing flyers and/or bulletins is desirable
- Working knowledge of PC’s and Microsoft Office
- Experience working with of copiers, Credit Card machines, telephone/fax machines and general office equipment
- Possession of a valid California Class C Driver's License required. Independent travel between work sites, suppliers or County facilities may be required.
- Knowledge of office practices and procedures; office equipment operation; basic data collection and compilation techniques; document formatting techniques; basic personnel, payroll and purchasing procedures; clerical/technical level accounting and basic budgeting practices; English usage and grammar.
- Skill in the use of computer keyboards and peripheral equipment; strong written and verbal communication; detail-oriented; team player.
- Ability to organize work; communicate both verbally and in writing; proofread or edit material.