This is an hourly, non-exempt position with a 9-month work schedule and base standard hours of 7:30 am - 3:30 pm daily. Hourly rates will be set annually. Physical education assistants will report to the school principal.
The physical education assistant position is responsible for the educational support of students in a group or physical education class in an innovative charter school. The physical education assistant will understand, demonstrate the use of, and implement the school’s curriculum, student instruction, and assessment to maximize educational achievement for all students, and work collaboratively to ensure a working and learning climate for all students that is safe, secure, and respectful. Implementation of strategies to reach the multiple intelligences of students through creative lessons is required.
Physical education assistants’ essential duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- Assisting teaching faculty in classroom supervision, observation and record keeping.
- Support the physical education assistant in managing student activities in class and during outside activities.
- The physical education assistant may assist the physical education instructor in implementing physical education instructional plans. This includes providing support while the physical education instructor is teaching, giving lessons independently when the physical education instructor is unavailable and providing small group tutoring to students who need additional assistance.
- The physical education assistant may prepare and organize lessons and educational programs under the guidance of the physical education instructor. They may prepare all materials for the lesson, including any handouts, worksheets and exams. They may also set up any displays or work areas prior to the lesson. This work often includes operating printers and copy machines.
- The physical education assistant completes administrative duties such as taking and recording attendance, drafting and sending out progress reports for students, answering emails and phone calls from families and maintaining supply inventory for the classroom.
- Encourage safety habits in work and organized game activities.
- Assist in the maintenance and storage of sports equipment.
- Set up sports equipment for class.
- Any other duties as assigned.
- Strong moral character.
- Ability to demonstrate, uphold, and promote in daily interactions a commitment to the school’s mission and vision, and the moral character and civic virtue the school embodies.
The organization is an equal opportunity employer. The organization is committed to providing equal opportunity for all individuals in all areas of recruitment, selection, placement, training, assignment, transfer, compensation, benefits, discipline, retention, and promotion. The board commits itself to the policy that there shall be no unlawful discrimination against any person because of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin or disability. All decisions with regard to employment shall be in compliance with applicable state and federal laws.