Job Title: Volunteer Hospital Sitter
Location: Belleville, MI
Help make the difference in the life of a child in foster care by providing continuous observation and surveillance of foster youth who are at the hospital.
Guiding Harbor is a private, non-profit that provides services to children in foster care and their families. The ideal candidate will have a passion for working with people and understand the challenges associated with staff who work with those impacted by the foster care system.
Duties and responsibilities
- Continuous observation of foster youth who are at the hospital.
- Summons the nursing staff if the patient requires assistance, becomes dysregulated or in need of nursing intervention
- Offer support to the youth
- Must maintain confidentiality, and follow other related agency policies
- Contact On-Call staff to report status changes
Skills and Qualifications
- Must be able to maintain professionalism and self-control in difficult or stressful conditions.
- Must display interpersonal skills necessary to effectively communicate with foster youth and, nursing staff and case workers.
- Must have the ability to follow instructions and record information.
- Sit for long periods of time and remain without distraction from personal business or other diversions.
- Concentrate and pay close attention to details for over 90% of the time.
- Able to work in an area with potential exposure to infectious agents and/or contaminants.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from volunteer location.
- This position requires long periods of sitting.
- Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 5 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
- May be exposed to hazardous materials found in a home or general office environment.