Boys & Girls Clubs of Carson’s Mission:
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Carson offers our young people a safe environment where they can have fun and be themselves around dedicated adult mentors who respect and listen to them. Outcome-based programs empower youth to become lifelong learners.
Plans, implements, supervises and evaluates activities provided within a specific program area, such as Education, Special Education, Social Recreation, Arts & Crafts and Physical Education. The primary focus will be to provide programming.
KEY ROLES (Essential Job Responsibilities):
Prepare Youth for Success
• Promote and stimulate program participation.
• Register new members and participate in their Club orientation process.
• Provide guidance and role modeling to members.
Program Development and Implementation
• Effectively implement and administer programs, services and activities for drop-in members and visitors.
• Provide daily homework and tutoring assistance for members.
• Maintain and keep files of attendance.
• Collect all required documentation to operate programs.
• Collect and maintain members’ report cards as they are distributed from schools.
• Take inventory and order supplies as needed.
• Address concerns, questions, issues of parents and or teachers.
• Advise Director or Coordinator of any program needs, concerns, and problems: i.e. additional staffing, volunteers, and staff evaluations.
• Prepare weekly and monthly schedules of activities.
• Create all learning center bulletin boards, display of member activities and other department objectives.
• Promote and recruit members by contacting local schools and parents.
• Keep written, updated logs of members’ observations and progress.
• Assure that programs operate at optimum capacity and meet member’s needs.
• Monitor and evaluate programs, services and activities to ensure safety of members, quality in programs and appearance of the unit at all times.
• Prepare periodic activity reports.
• Maintain members order and discipline by managing members’ behavior; reinforces
• rules of the club and all the recreational areas.
• Maintain a clean room/environment by sweeping, disinfecting, and organizing at the end of the day.
• Help develop injury prevention methods, evaluates injuries.
• Ensure a productive work environment by participating in regular unit and organization staff meetings.
• May participate in special programs and/or events.
• May be required to drive Club van and obtain Class B license.
• May be required to help in other program areas.
• Assume other duties as assigned.
Internal: Maintains close, daily contact with Club staff (professional and volunteer), Club members, and supervisor to receive/provide information, discuss issues, explain guidelines/ instructions; instruct; and advise/counsel.
External: Maintains contact with external community groups, schools, members' parents and others to assist in resolving problems.
• High School diploma or GED.
• Experience in working with children.
• Knowledge of youth development.
• Good level of responsibility, reliability, and punctuality.
• Ability to provide guidance, assistance, and/or interpretation to others on how to apply procedures and standards to specific classes.
• Ability to utilize a wide variety of reference, descriptive data and information.
• Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagrammatic form. Involves semi-routine standardized work with some latitude for independent judgment concerning choices of action.
• Ability to motivate youth and manage behavior problems.
• Ability to deal with the general public.
• Ability to plan and implement quality programs for youth.
• Ability to organize and supervise members in a safe environment.
• Mandatory CPR and First Aid Certifications and TB clearance.
• Must be fully vaccinated.
• Must have a valid State Driver’s License.
ENVIRONMENT AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Tasks are regularly performed with moderate exposure to environmental conditions such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, fumes, and temperature and noise extremes.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
Tasks involve the ability to exert physical effort, typically involving some combination of standing for long periods of time, stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling, and which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects up to 50 pounds.
SALARY RANGE FOR THIS POSITION
$20.00 to $20.75, based on tenure and experience
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.