Department: Exhibitions and Collections
Reports to: Senior Curator and Director of Exhibitions and Collections
The International Center of Photography (ICP) is the world’s leading institution dedicated to photography and visual culture. Through our exhibitions, education, public programs, and community outreach, we offer an open forum for dialogue about the power of the image. Since our founding in 1974, we have presented hundreds of exhibitions and offered thousands of classes, providing instruction at every level. Our new integrated center on the Lower East Side reunites our school and museum in one space to become the cultural anchor of Essex Crossing.
This position calls for a dynamic, self-motivated and can-do individual with proven experience and strengths in exhibition production and project management. The Exhibition Production Manager guides all aspects of the planning and production process of three museum exhibition cycles to completion at the highest level of professional conduct and practice. Collaborating with the exhibitions and collections department, the Exhibition Production Manager hires and supervises museum technicians, contracts and manages outside fabrication, and reviews design and shop production drawings. In conjunction with exhibition installations, this role oversees ongoing production, preparation and care of ICP’s Collection at Mana Contemporary currently housed in Jersey City in coordination with the curatorial staff.
Essential Functions and Duties:
- Prepares and administers exhibition schedules to ensure work is properly organized and supervised to meet demanding exhibition deadlines.
- Provides input for development of installation budgets.
- Provides in-gallery project management, coordinating curators, registrars, designers, and facilities.
- On-floor supervision of museum technicians to maintain quality of work to ensure deadlines are met.
- Responsible for the recruitment and coordination of temporary preparators and exhibition art handlers/technicians. Efficiently manages labor hours and expenditures.
- Review work to maintain adherence to museum standards.
- Coordinates the safe art handling of the collection and loans including hanging, matting, mounting, framing, moving, packing, crating, shipping, receiving and transporting objects.
- Works closely with curators, registrar, exhibition designers, and operations staff.
- Dismantles exhibition cases and components, and transporting materials to storage spaces.
- Maintains records of exhibition technical specifications, as well as a materials and furniture inventory.
- Follows museum standards of conservation, security, environmental controls and safety.
- Prepares collection objects for long term storage, as needed for special collections management projects and from de-installed exhibitions and loans.
- Works closely with operations, ensures best building practices and coordination with building systems. In charge of the Museum building systems required for exhibition (i.e. lighting systems, shade/window system, AV/sound system)
- Oversees all museum exhibitions spaces, Collection storage spaces, connected offices spaces, maintaining organization and inventory of A/V equipment, frames, vitrines, etc.
- Maintains clean and organized production spaces both at 79 Essex and Mana Contemporary
Additional Responsibilities :
- Reviews design proposals and construction documents for alignment of scope and budget.
- Tracks, manages, and communicates staffing, schedule, budgets, and approvals.
- Plans and manages the production schedule of all design elements, fabrication, and installation needs for exhibitions.
- Assist with maintenance of frame shop and art storage facilities.
- Assist with movement of collection as needed.
- Assist with other related exhibition display/art handling in the lobby and other non gallery settings
Supervisory Responsibilities :
- Experience sourcing and supervising freelance staff. A pool of freelance installers highly desired. Supervising crews of art handlers (between 1-20 per crew), electricians, lighting tech, and any additional on site trades as needed.
- Bachelors degree required
Minimum Experience Requirement:
- 5-7 years of progressively responsible relevant experience
Specialized Knowledge, Licenses or Certifications required:
- Drivers license required, OSHA certification recommended
Additional Competency Requirement (Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Art storage and display methods, techniques, and procedures.
- Knowledge of a wide variety of material handling, including rigging large works with an attention to detail and safety.
- Experience using heavy equipment such as scissor lifts up to 30 feet, gantries, and other equipment used to move or reach large art or control lighting
- Operating of woodworking and painting equipment.
- Knowledge of art/museum security systems and procedures.
- Principles and practices of museum exhibit and display design, construction and finishing, carpentry work, alterations, and repairs.
- Lighting techniques in a gallery setting.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Ability to creatively solve construction and display problems.
- Ability to research and prepare cost estimates, develop and successfully manage budgets.
- Broad knowledge of technical equipment and variable media in terms of exhibition presentation, exhibition layout configuration and archival preservation required.
- Ability to lift heavy objects.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
Special Environmental Factors: (Nature of the work environment)
- FULL COVID-19 Vaccination Required
- Night and weekend work required during exhibition installation
- May be required to commute between locations 79 Essex in New York and and Mana Contemporary in Jersey City
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
- ICP provides its staff with a generous benefits package featuring medical, dental, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, pre-tax transit and flexible spending programs, and 403(b) pension plan.
How to Apply
- Please submit a resume and cover letter. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered