Adaptability. We are outwardly focused, service-oriented, and staffed by continuous learners.
Equality. We welcome all with the same measure of respect, warmth, and acceptance.
Accountability. We are an interdependent team holding ourselves mutually accountable for delivering results that are relevant to our community’s needs.
Integrity. We embody these values in every aspect of our operation, building personal and institutional bridges which facilitate productive, trusting relationships.
EQUITY, DIVERSITY, AND INCLUSION STATEMENT
We vow our commitment to advancing the Library's embrace of equity, diversity, and inclusion. We recognize our obligation to enhance the diversity of our collections, programs, services, and staff. The Library aims to embody the tenets of social responsibility so that our actions bring about an improved quality of life for our patrons, our staff, and our community at large.
This position is for an energetic, self-motivated, problem solving, creative, and team-oriented librarian. This person will be responsible for initiating, planning, and conducting a variety of programs and activities for a specific library location, to encourage the use of the library by specific audiences. Above all, the person in this position should present a positive image of the personality of the Library by making all people feel welcome and accepted at the Library.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS
- Communicating effectively, courteously, and tactfully with the public and co-workers.
- Promoting the library, both internally and externally, using marketing techniques that appeal to the identified target audience.
- Assisting in the provision, preparation, promotion, and implementation of the library's annual summer reading program.
- Assisting with the selection of library materials for the identified target audience.
- Participating in professional development to keep abreast of trends, practices, and continued growth and innovation in library services and programs.
- Assisting patrons with questions in person, via telephone, and electronic mail.
- Offering and assisting in performing essential duties of another programming/outreach staff when the need arises.
- Keeping accurate statistics according to established library procedures.
- Assisting with clerical duties when assigned.
- This job description does not necessarily reflect all aspects of the job functions.
- High school diploma or equivalent; some college preferred.
- At least one year of library experience.
- Experience working with computers, databases, and search tools.
- Ability to obtain the appropriate level of certification through the Kentucky Department of Libraries and Archives.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license, clean driving record, and reliable transportation.
- Must be willing to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Requires availability for extended hours as needed.
SKILLS AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Must possess people skills including the ability to: communicate effectively; express patience, friendliness, and courteousness; and, a desire to help others.
- Exercising sound independent judgment within designated areas of responsibility.
- Skills in public speaking and crowd control.
- Ability to share information effectively with groups.
- The ability or desire to learn how to select print and media materials for readers' advisory.
- Basic public-facing desk and telephone etiquette.
- Ability to read and write, including by hand or typing.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written directions.
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and oral expression.
- Ability to work both independently and with staff in a team environment.
- Ability to use extensive workplace and other technology including email, internet, databases, social media, and other software.
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies and integrate them into programming, marketing, and outreach.
- Ability to be innovative, flexible, and well organized.
- Possession of excellent critical thinking skills.
- Standing, sitting, stooping, pulling, pushing, and walking.
- Handling books and other Library materials.
- Using computer input devices.
- Visual acuity for near reading.
- Mobility to help patrons and reach materials.
- Pushing and pulling book trucks up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs., or greater with assistance.
- Will work indoors and outside all year round.
- Climate controlled environment while indoors.
- Exposure to dust, sunshine, and the elements.
- Programming and outreach services may be performed offsite, as needed.
- Computers and peripherals.
- General office equipment.
- Book carts.
- Carts and wagons.
Bullitt County Public Library is an AA, EEO, and ADA employer.