The Scale Clerk will weigh all vehicles inbound and outbound, code correct commodities into the computer system, direct customers/suppliers to proper inspection, unloading, and loading areas, complete purchases and issue payments. This position is customer focused, fast paced, and requires a general knowledge or ability to learn scrap metal grades.
ABOUT HARMON SCRAP METAL
We are Harmon Scrap Metal, we recycle by processing scrap metal, and we are growing by the day. Our mission is to empower people to recycle the past to impact the future. We are intentional and disciplined in our pursuit to see every team member reach their personal, professional, and financial goals through the work we do together. Our core values, Discipline, Trust, Accountability, Alignment, and Adaptability, are the backbone of our business. They guide our hiring process and daily operations. We are transparent and results-oriented in all we do.
- Ensure accurate and comprehensive documentation of all inbound and outbound scale transactions
- Issue payments to customers after verifying all material, price and customer information is correct
- Manage the flow of traffic. Perform duties in a timely fashion and keep traffic moving across the scale at a reasonable rate
- Explain scale and yard procedures to new suppliers/customers.
- Direct vehicles to proper location for inspection
- Communicates with yard regarding incoming and outgoing loads via CB and 2-way radios
- Maintain a cordial relationship with the suppliers and customers
- Maintain accurate daily records of scale operations.
- Account for all scale transactions
- Ensure the scales, radiation detector, computer system, phones and other necessary devices are in proper working condition and contact a member of the management team if there is a problem
- Restrict office access to authorized personnel only
- Perform general housekeeping
- QSEHRA Reimbursement
- Paid Holidays
- PTO Program
- Retirement Plan
- Professional Training & Development Opportunities
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
As an equal opportunity employer committed to meeting the needs of a multigenerational and multicultural workforce, Harmon Scrap Metal recognizes that a diverse staff, reflective of our community, is an integral and welcome part of a successful and ethical business. We hire local talent at all levels regardless of race, color, religion, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, or disability and actively foster inclusion in all forms both within our company and across interactions with clients, candidates, and partners.
If this position caught your eye, send us your resume! For best consideration, include the job title and source where you found this position in the subject line of your email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclaimer: The sorting and processing of scrap metals involves using permanent magnets and electromagnets, creating magnetic fields, which can interfere with electronic medical devices like cardiac pacemakers and defibrillators.
- Basic math, account reconciliation, computer, and data entry skills
- Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions, work independently, multitask, and have excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing with customers
- Basic computer knowledge for work related purposes and ability to learn in-house systems
- Ability to adapt to frequent changes of priority and complete job tasks safely and effectively without constant supervision.
- Ability to learn laws and regulations governing transportation weights and scrap metal purchasing
- Flexible to work overtime on Saturday
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of 3 years previous customer service preferably in the scrap metal or construction industries
- Ability to work standing or sitting for extended periods of time in an office environment
- Ability to occasionally move objects up to 25 pounds
- Ability to perform repetitive motions that may include the wrists, hands, and/or fingers