To select and obtain department products in accordance to EEFC’s Product Guidelines and to meet objectives for sales, margin, and customer service to ensure that the department contributes to the financial best interest of the store.
- Follow the Core Values as defined by EEFC's Core Value statement.
- Provide exemplary customer service to both customers and staff.
- Accurately communicate what the Co-op is and the process for becoming a member.
- Familiarity with store layout, products, and services.
- Familiarity and understanding of emergency procedures.
- Stay up to date with current storewide and departmental communications, policies, notices, and logs.
- Abide by Co-op policies as delineated in the Employee Handbook.
- Willingness and ability to learn to meet the changing needs and requirements of the job.
II. Departmental - Purchasing
- Place orders by appropriate deadlines.
- Optimize stock levels to minimize out-of-stocks while maintaining strong inventory turns.
- Pursue discounts through distributors and sales reps; run specials and monthly member-coupon specials.
- Maintain dynamic product mix by bringing in new items and discontinuing slow sellers. Choose products meeting the criteria established in the East End Food Co-op's Buying Guidelines.
- Evaluate vendors and investigate new sources of supply.
- Establish relationships with local vendors to negotiate promotions
- Negotiate with suppliers for favorable prices, terms, and quality.
- Manage customer special orders.
- Manage Monthly Co+op Deals promotions:
- Work with Grocery Manager to establish promotions planning
- Work with Grocery Manager to establish preferred promotional items
- Work with POS Coordinator to ensure accurate pricing and data entry on promo items
- Request and maintain promotional signage.
III. Departmental - Merchandising
- Plan and maintain attractive, fully-stocked and rotated sections.
- Stock products as time permits; act as a model stocker for other grocery stockers.
- Utilize New Item process for all new items brought into the store.
- Communicate with Stockroom Supervisor about new products, stocking changes, and stocking needs.
- Ensure accurate, up-to-date shelf tags for all products.
- Ensure accurate, informative signage for specials and new items.
- Attend Coordinators’ meetings to plan promotions, cross-merchandising, and advertising.
- Visit other stores for price comparisons, new product ideas, and merchandising ideas.
- Provide product information to customers and staff via the Marketing & Member Services Manager for the Co-operator, Customer Service, and any other marketing materials.
- Stay current with developments in natural foods industry through reading trade publications and speaking with brokers.
IV. Departmental - Maintenance
- Maintain organized, rotated backstock as time permits.
- Obtain credit from vendors where applicable.
- Communicate with accounting department about direct-vendor credit or invoice issues.
- Clean shelves and fixtures as time permits.
- Keep accurate records of shrink and calculate shrink extensions.
- Participate quarterly inventory counts and calculate inventory extensions.
- Maintain an accessible contact list of department vendors.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- General mobility requirements include the ability to: stand or sit for several hours at a time; lift up to 50 lbs. alone on a regular basis and 75 lbs. with assistance using safe lifting techniques; twist, turn, squat, and bend; do repetitive motions; visually read fine print; visually read a computer screen for long periods of time; climb a ladder.
- 2-3 years of experience purchasing retail foods.
- 1-2 years of experience in natural foods.
- Thorough knowledge of organic, natural foods, and non-GMO products.
- Able to produce quality work within the established deadlines.
- Retail or other experience serving the public.
- Must enjoy interacting with and serving the public.
- Must have a friendly and outgoing personality and a positive attitude.
- Ability to handle multiple demands and stay calm.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Organized and methodical in action.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent trouble shooting skills. Logical problem solving skills.
- Conflict resolution skills.
- Negotiation skills.
- Moderate proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and internet research skills.
- Familiarity with POS systems.
- The ability to be reliable for regular scheduled shift work.
- The ability to work a flexible schedule.
- Willingness to work evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- 3-5 years of experience purchasing retail foods.
- 2-4 years of experience in natural foods.
- Experience purchasing natural foods.
- Experience with food cooperatives.
- Advanced knowledge of organic, natural foods, and non-GMO products.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and internet research skills.