The College of Atlantic (COA) Life Enrichment Intern is dedicated to involving residents, clients, and consumers with memory loss in any of BBRV targeted programs/service areas in daily programming that helps them feel valued and provides them with a sense of purpose.
MDI Hospital and Birch Bay Retirement Village offer a competitive salary, robust medical/dental/vision/life insurance, identity theft protection program, matching retirement plan, ample paid time off, a comprehensive award winning wellness program with reimbursement incentives, generous tuition reimbursement, and continuing education benefits. Some positions may qualify for a sign on bonus and relocation assistance.
MDI Hospital and Birch Bay Retirement Village provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Education, Training or Certifications Required:
- Seeking degree or certificate in healthcare, therapy, social work, humanecology and horticulture, or related field.
- BSW, RT, OTA, CAT, preferred.
- Student in good standing at COA required.
- Familiarity with memory loss and demonstrated skills in teamwork and group dynamics.
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbal and in writing. Additional languages preferred.
- Ability for high performance under stressful situations.
- Must be able to prioritize, multi-task and follow through.
- Able to sit, stand and walk for an 8 hour shift.
- Adequate hearing, vision, speech, and manual dexterity.
- General health must be such as to regularly work scheduled hours. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising resident care.
- Able to lift and carry 25 to 50 pounds (assisting residents in and out of chairs, etc.)
- Potential for exposure to body fluids & infectious diseases.
- Potential for exposure to inappropriate resident behavior and verbal abuse.
- Use of Telephone and VDT. Working in a fast paced sometimes chaotic environment requiring multi-tasking and setting of priorities.