The Level ll Diesel Mechanic is responsible for performing routine and preventative maintenance and repair procedures on semi-trucks. The key fundamentals of this role include being able to inspect, diagnose, and repair diesel-powered vehicles and machines. The Level ll Diesel Mechanic is accountable for his/her personal tools and equipment, and maintains an inventory of assigned parts and supplies.
ABOUT HARMON SCRAP METAL
We are Harmon Scrap Metal, we recycle by processing scrap metal, and we are growing by the day. Our mission is to empower people to recycle the past to impact the future. We are intentional and disciplined in our pursuit to see every team member reach their personal, professional, and financial goals through the work we do together. Our core values, Discipline, Trust, Accountability, Alignment, and Adaptability, are the backbone of our business. They guide our hiring process and daily operations. We are transparent and results-oriented in all we do.
- Follow procedures including documenting all work performed on work orders.
- Mentor, teach and share expertise with other mechanics to aid in their development to positions of greater responsibility.
- Ensures proper preventive maintenance procedures are followed and executed while maintaining equipment in good working order.
- Provides mechanical maintenance information by answering questions and requests.
- Prepares mechanical maintenance reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information.
- Performs open jobs and uses resources to achieve cost effective results.
- Reviews records of scheduled maintenance activities and records work performed, and materials used.
- Facilitates a safe work environment by taking corrective action per monthly facility safety inspections.
- Cleans, organizes, inventories, stocks, and otherwise maintains shop areas, parts, tools, and supplies
- Maintains technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing technical publications, and establishing personal networks.
- Performs work per company goals, manager’s priorities and / or documented procedures.
- Utilizes and drives a company vehicle as needed
- Must demonstrate competency in all aspects of the job and company objectives.
- Demonstrates understanding of company policies, rules, and trainings.
- Attend and participate in internal meetings and complete required training
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management
- QSEHRA Reimbursement
- Paid Holidays
- PTO Program
- Retirement Plan
- Professional Training & Development Opportunities
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
As an equal opportunity employer committed to meeting the needs of a multigenerational and multicultural workforce, Harmon Scrap Metal recognizes that a diverse staff, reflective of our community, is an integral and welcome part of a successful and ethical business. We hire local talent at all levels regardless of race, color, religion, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, or disability and actively foster inclusion in all forms both within our company and across interactions with clients, candidates, and partners.
If this position caught your eye, send us your resume! For best consideration, include the job title and source where you found this position in the subject line of your email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclaimer: The sorting and processing of scrap metals involves using permanent magnets and electromagnets, creating magnetic fields, which can interfere with electronic medical devices like cardiac pacemakers and defibrillators.
- Ability to understand detailed instructions and repair manuals in English.
- Must work effectively independently, with others and as part of a team.
- Must be skilled at welding, electrical work, and hydraulics.
- Possessing skills and a basic understanding of the FMCSA regulations
- Must have technical understanding and attention to detail.
- Ability to work in various environmental conditions such as extreme heat or cold, dusty, dirty and/or wet conditions.
- Able to fulfill flexible scheduling requirements as determined by the manager and / or business needs of the operation.
- Experience successfully maintaining a positive attitude while working in a team environment with competing priorities
- Ability to think critically
- Skilled at driving and parking large, heavy vehicles
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or GED required
- 3 or more years work experience in a similar role in a similar industry, with a strong mechanical background.
- Commercial Driver's license & clean driving record
- Certified to conduct annual inspections and brake adjustments or possess ability to become certified in accordance with federal guidelines
- Vocational/technical school program or apprenticeship in diesel repair or related field required
- Must be able to stand and walk for extended periods on uneven surfaces
- Ability to lift, push, or pull a minimum of 50 pounds
- Frequently climb up and down ladders; crouch and bend at the knee; stoop or bend at the waist; reach arms overhead; and twist and turn at the neck and trunk
- Continually handle and grasp levers and dials; continuous leg and foot motion when using pedals
- Work environment involves frequent and/or regular exposure to natural and unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, toxic chemicals, biohazardous materials, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, and/or loud noises