SUMMARY: This position will be based out of our Alexander Valley location. Under limited supervision, will perform various cellar activities to aid the winemaking process. Will ensure quality standards are followed in all aspects of cellar work.
· Performs all aspects of cellar work, including but not limited to racking, pumping, clarifying, and blending of juice and wine.
· Operates and maintains cellar and harvest equipment, such as filters, pumps, presses and hoses.
· Cleans and sanitizes all cellar and bottling equipment; maintains knowledge of all wine pumps and harvest equipment and how it works.
· During harvest duties may include: pump-overs, checking Brix, shoveling pomace, cleaning tanks, crushing fruit, pressing must, fruit sorting, chemical additions, and managing micro-bins, and reporting any unusual musts or wines.
· May also be required to perform wine movements such as racking, transfers, and filling; barrel work, stacking, washing, and maintenance; tank sanitation and preparation, forklift operation; cleaning and maintenance of cellar; purging and gassing of tanks; stirring and topping of wines.
· Will document wine transfers, and cellar work completion on work orders. May need to clarify steps taken to complete a work order for others performing data entry to WMDB.
· During bottling season, will work on bottling line rotating through different stations; forklift, wine transfers, capsule applicator, label machine, dumping station, packing cases, stacking cases on pallets, shrink wrap pallets, bottling quality control and forklift operator. Will help with bottling and labeling of auction lots.
· Contributes to a safe working environment; follows all safety regulations and procedures; wears the appropriate PPE for each cellar task; reports unsafe workplace conditions and/or hazards.
· May assist Cellar Master in training and assigning tasks to less experienced or seasonal cellar workers.
· Contributes to a positive team environment by helping coworkers with cellar tasks, lab sampling and being flexible to assist other departments as needed.
· Other duties as assigned by manager.
· Minimum of three years’ experience as Cellar Worker; with good working knowledge of cellar equipment and procedures. Experience with Cabernet Sauvignon a plus.
· Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions. Must be able to complete written work orders.
· Ability to calculate figures.
· Basic computer literacy preferred, specifically MS Office and email. Previous experience with WMDB a plus.
· Must be able to work long hours and/or swing shift as required at harvest, bottling and as needed.
· CA Driver’s License with clean DMV record.
· Good written and verbal communication skills.
· Ability to perform the physical labor necessary.
· Commitment to excellence and high standards.
· Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
· Creative, flexible, and innovative team player.
· Fluent in Spanish a plus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to do the following:
· Regularly required to roll, move, and/or lift 60 gallon wine barrels when needed.
· Walk, kneel, bend, and stand.
· Requires climbing steps and working at heights on catwalks.
· Flexibility to work long hours and weekends as needed during harvest and bottling seasons.
· Respiratory Screening Test Required.
· Works in wine cellar where temperatures are cool and noise level is usually moderate.
· Confined space entry required.
· Occasional exposure to gases during fermentation, topping, etc.
· Works with caution around fast moving, heavy equipment including conveyors, augers, and destemmers; as well as on elevated equipment such as ladders forklifts, and scissor lifts.
The above reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.