The International Center of Photography (ICP) is the world’s leading institution dedicated to photography and visual culture. Through our exhibitions, education, public programs, and community outreach, we offer an open forum for dialogue about the power of the image. Since our founding in 1974, we have presented hundreds of exhibitions and offered thousands of online and onsite classes, providing instruction at every level. Our new integrated center on the Lower East Side reunites our school and museum in one space becoming a vibrant cultural center.
Course Proposal and Adjunct Faculty Position Summary:
The International Center of Photography, a leader in photography and lens-based media education, is seeking proposals for new classes and workshops from candidates interested in joining ICP’s Adjunct Faculty in the Continuing Education and One Year Certificate programs.
ICP seeks to introduce our photography and media students to a broad range of professional perspectives including those of practicing photographers and artists, curators, theorists, writers, and cultural catalysts. Resources available to teachers and classes include the museum’s active exhibition and programming as well the school’s state of the art analog and digital facilities, our collection and archive of 200,000 images, and library of 20,000 photo photobooks. We also are enthusiastic about innovative proposals that utilize and link ICP to New York City as a museum and school without walls.
ICP is seeking course proposals that integrate new media, contemporary art, critical theory, photographic histories, book making, writing, and editing, and curatorial approaches and philosophies. Courses are taught onsite and online reaching an international audience.
Candidates should familiarize themselves with the programs and current offerings for the Continuing Education Courses and the One Year Certificate programs on our online course catalogue and consider how they might offer completely new courses or refresh our current courses. Proposals for completely new courses or variations on current courses will be considered.
For immediate consideration proposals for 5- or 10-week courses and shorter weekend classes should be submitted by February 15, 2023. Submission after February 15 will be reviewed by ICP educational programming staff on a rolling basis throughout the year.
Some courses that we are interested in include:
- Contemporary studio practice
- Photo bookmaking
- Focus classes on leading contemporary image-makers (Carrie Mae Weems, Zanele Muholi, Wolfgang Tillmans, Thomas Struth, Cindy Sherman, etc.)
- Courses on NFTs, web.3, and AI
- New histories of photography
- Course based on ICP’s collection, library, and exhibitions
- Courses that connect photography to curatorial practice and contemporary writing
- Courses that explore the relationship between image-making and installation art, performance, multi-media, and cinema
Education and Work Experience Requirements:
Ideally candidates should possess prior teaching experience, advanced upper-level degrees, or comparable professional experience.
You will be asked to complete an application composed of fill-in fields and uploaded document fields.
- Cover letter of no more than one page (Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.)
Additional Required Information
To be considered for this position you will be asked to provide the following information:
- Course description of proposed course with title and brief description (100 word limit)
- Sample curriculum (no more than one page - 3000 character limit),
- Indicate if online or onsite
- 10 creative work samples (link to on-line portfolio or upload .pdf);
- or Research and Curatorial dossier (lint to on-line dossier, text or upload .pdf)
Note: You may choose to provide this information by uploading a pdf document. Download Sample Template here: Adjunct Faculty Additional Documents Template
Please utilize the "Upload Additional Files" link that is provide on the application to upload a PDF copy.
(Applications without this information may not be considered.)
Compensation - (may vary based on course hours)
5-week course, 15 course-hours $1,350
10-week course, 30 course-hours $2,700
By submitting your application, you are agreeing to receive periodic emails from ICP regarding it programs, and exhibitions.