Example of duties after academy graduation include:
- Deter crimes and assure community safety through high-visibility policing
- Investigate crimes and apprehend suspected law violators
- Patrol assigned areas and monitor activities to protect people/property
- Conduct initial investigations
- Gather evidence and ensure successful prosecutions
- Observe and respond to various situations or emergencies
- Attend and provide evidence in court
- Be 21 years of age or older
- Be a U.S. Citizen
- Graduate from an accredited high school or G.E.D. program.
- Possess a valid driver's license.
- If applicable, received an honorable discharge or a general discharge under honorable conditions for serving in any branch of the armed forces of the United States.
- Not have a felony conviction or any criminal action pending.
- Not have had certification as a peace officer permanently revoked in Kentucky or another state
- Not be prohibited by federal or state law from possessing a firearm
- Applicants must pass a written general aptitude test.
- Applicants must pass a physical agility test.
- Must submit to an oral interview
- Must submit to a thorough background investigation.
- Pass a pre-employment medical examination
- Pass a pre-employment polygraph examination
- Take a psychological evaluation
- Pass a drug screen
- Work a varied work schedule.
- Applicants must be able to successfully complete training with the Kentucky Department of Criminal Justice.