San Francisco Day School announces an exciting opportunity to become a member of our vibrant school community. We are seeking the next individual to follow their passion by applying for a full-time position as Lower School Learning Specialist.
At San Francisco Day School, we believe that when intellect and imagination are intertwined, students delight in the discovery of connection, in their academic and creative pursuits, in their relationships, and in all that they experience here. Every day we help our students emerge as flexible and resourceful learners. Because when we do, our students light up with the call and capacity to take on the complexities of their day and of a diverse world.
At SF Day we ignite curiosity. We cultivate a diverse, nurturing community that encourages learners to expand their perspectives and become their true selves. Students develop as compassionate, creative problem-solvers, prepared to thrive in an ever-changing world.
SF Day Fast Facts
· Independent, co-educational, K-8 school
· Founded in 1981
· Serving 420+ students
· Located in the heart of San Francisco
Expectations for SF Day Employees:
Promote positive relationships between and among all internal and external constituents of the school by maintaining the highest level of professionalism, including but not limited to those aspects detailed in the employee handbook, and acting in a manner consistent with the School’s Mission and Values.
Collaborate with colleagues inside and outside of the department to advance grade level, departmental and School goals and objectives.
Support everyday needs of the community, including student-facing responsibilities, such as safety drills and recess/lunch duties.
Commit to ongoing professional development and growth to reflect the demands of the position and the strategic priorities of the School. Our school has a generous professional development budget and we strive to model the goal of being lifelong learners.
Serve as an active participant in the school’s commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. Attend all-school, on-campus professional development seminars, participate in all-school “reads”of important literature in the field, and actively participate in modeling our mission and work in DEI.
Report and sign in to work no later than 15 minutes before the division’s students are scheduled to arrive, and be available on campus until 4:00 p.m., Tuesday through Friday, and 5:00 p.m. on Monday or another day designated as the regular weekly all-community meeting time.
Do not schedule such absences immediately before and after a school vacation or on parent conference days.
Attend evening and weekend events as required.
Lower school learning specialists support teachers, students, and families, working particularly, although not exclusively, with students with identified learning differences. They interact and collaborate with outside professionals working with students for specialized support.
Responsibilities and Duties:
* Collaborate with colleagues in pursuit of fulfilling the School's Mission, Vision, and Values.
* Serve as part of a team of K-8 Learning Specialists that are passionate about providing all students with the resources and strategies to know themselves as learners and to advocate for what they need to realize their learning potential
* Collaborate with classroom teachers to identify and help implement effective teaching and learning strategies within the classroom to support all students, with specific focus on employing the Universal Design for Learning (UDL) framework and strategies
* Directly support Lower School students (K-4) in a variety of environments including: 1:1, small-group, in/out of the homeroom classroom with emphasis on early literacy and math skills
* Partner with teachers, administrators, parents, and external professionals (as needed) regarding assessing and identifying students in need, subsequent referrals, observations, drafting/expanding upon individualized, time bound student learning plans
* Check in regularly with teachers and families to monitor how effectively accommodations/interventions are being implemented and provide new strategies
* Serve as the point person for teachers in working with students who have identified learning needs:
* Participate in regular meetings with all internal and external stakeholder groups to for students to support their continued progress
* Assist classroom teachers in selecting, locating, and securing instructional materials and tools that support the needs of individual students
* Coordinate the use of external tutors, learning specialists, educational therapists, and other resources (as needed)
* Attend grade-level, departmental, division, school-wide meetings, professional development conferences, and all meetings and faculty work days called by the Division Head and/or Head of School.
* Attend school functions, including but not limited to Back to School Nights, Admission events, and Grandparents and Special Friends Day.
* Participate fully in the school’s outdoor education programs as directed by the Division Head.
* Perform duties as designated by the Division Head, including but not limited to arrival, dismissal, lunch and recess duties.
* Participate fully in the school’s substitute/coverage program.
* Perform all required administrative tasks in an accurate and timely manner.
* Remain on campus during the school day or leave and sign out only with prior permission from the teacher’s supervisor, and do not pre-plan off-campus appointments when teacher is on-call for substitute/coverage duty.
* Provide ample advance notice for planned and approved days-off and record such leave in the appropriate HR platform.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
* Bachelor’s Degree
* Minimum of 3-5 years of classroom experience in a K-8 setting, including direct teaching experience
* Experience working with a wide range of students, teachers, and families of diverse backgrounds. Strong cultural competency.
* Familiarity with multisensory literacy programs (such as Orton Gillingham, Slingerland, Fundations, Lindamood Bell) and math programs (such as Making Math Real, Math Recovery, Lindamood Bell)
* A true inclusion approach including knowledge of learning differences
* Flexibility and adaptability to meet the needs of the children and program
* Ability to maintain confidential information
* Commitment to staying current with research on best practice
* Masters Degree preferred, especially in Special Education or Educational Therapy
* Co-teaching and/or coaching experience
* Experience in/understanding of UDL
* Independent school experience
* Experience with Responsive Classroom and Restorative Justice practices
90% Indoors, 10% outdoors
Ability to move around the classroom and playground to attend to individual or small groups of students
Occasional requirement to lift more than 30 lbs
Stand for an extended amount of time
Per CA statutes, all School employees should be able to pass a Federal and State background check, provide a negative TB test, and maintain professional behavior during the period of employment. The employment offer is contingent upon these requirements.
Please submit a resume and a detailed cover letter.
No Phone Calls Please.
San Francisco Day School is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. San Francisco Day School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition or history, pregnancy, expression, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under any federal, state, or local law. San Francisco Day School will provide reasonable accommodation(s)to all qualified candidates and all employees with disabilities, where their disability affects the performance of their essential job functions except when doing so would create undue hardship. If you need assistance or need to request accommodations, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
This job description is subject to change at any time by San Francisco Day School.