Do you want to grow your career in An American Classical Education, helping students to live responsible, courageous, and virtuous lives? Ascent Classical Academies is currently hiring grammar school teachers for its Northern Colorado campus in Windsor, Colorado, to begin in the 2023-2024 school year.
Ascent Classical Academies are dedicated to the intellectual and moral betterment of students and encourage teachers to take their own moral and intellectual improvement seriously as part of a supportive and excellence-driven culture. At Ascent Classical Academy charter schools, well-educated and articulate faculty utilize direct instruction to convey real knowledge to students using traditional teaching methods. Teachers enjoy a wide array of resources as they create their own lessons within the content-rich curriculum to engage students in a positive and virtue-imbued learning experience in the liberal arts. General education grammar school teachers experience the joy of mastering the key elements of their instruction, such as explicit phonics, Singapore math, Core Knowledge history and science, and English grammar with support from peers within the school and other Ascent Classical Academy network schools.
Desired Start Date: August 1, 2023, full-time, with preliminary training once monthly beginning in February/March 2023 (to be determined, with flexibility for those currently employed in teaching positions.)
New-to-classical and apprentice teachers are provided mentoring and support to learn their craft well. In order to prepare teachers, preliminary training in the content-rich curriculum will begin in the spring 2023, to take place once monthly in evenings or on weekends (to be determined). New teachers will be supported and mentored by veteran teachers within the ACA network. On approximately August 1, all faculty will be trained together in culture and content at the school.
Compensation Range and Particulars: $41,000 to $55,000 annually. While student contact and professional development days amount to approximately 190 days per year, Ascent Classical Academy teachers are dedicated to year-round development of their craft, while enjoying additional time off in the summer. Pay is spread evenly over 12 months. Depending on funding and enrollment, performance pay may also be available.
Schedule and Classification: Full-Time Exempt
- Competitive compensation package including performance pay and stipends available
- Employee-only coverage for group medical, dental, and vision plan; dependent coverage available
- Health savings account with employer contributions
- Short- and long-term disability and life insurance plans
- Retirement investment account with employer match
- Paid time off for a wide array of health reasons for employees and dependents, consistent with the Colorado Healthy Families and Workplaces Act
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Free employee benefit and healthcare guidance
- Paid leave for qualifying events under the Family Medical Leave Act
- Robust teacher training including several weeks of on-site training
About Ascent Classical Academies
Ascent Classical Academies partners with a network of classical charter schools based in Colorado delivering a content-rich curriculum in the liberal arts and sciences, with underlying principles in the Western tradition of the study of history, literature, philosophy, and fine arts. Our American Classical Education includes, among other things, the study of Latin; a rich examination of American literary, moral, philosophical, political, and historical tradition; and a school culture centered upon moral virtue, respect, discipline, and studiousness among students and faculty alike. Ascent Classical Academy charter schools currently serve approximately 1,700 students in K-12 campuses located in the Denver and Fort Collins areas of Colorado, with significant expansion planned throughout Colorado, the Carolinas, and beyond.
See Ascent Classical Academy of Northern Colorado and Ascent Classical Academy of Douglas County to learn more about our existing schools.
Qualified candidates will have a strong background in the subject matter, demonstrate high moral character and embrace the virtues of a democratic society. The successful candidate will also foster professional friendships with faculty and staff, seek collaborative relationships with parents, and mentor students in the pursuit of their own flourishing.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree or higher
- For co-curricular subjects (art, music, physical education), teachers with a bachelor’s degree in the subject taught are preferred, or at a minimum 36 hours of higher education credit in the subject area of instruction. (In some cases, a passing grade in a content exam will suffice.)
- Eligibility to work in the United States
- After offer is accepted, satisfactory background check as required by state law and Colorado Department of Education
- Dedication to the value of a rigorous liberal arts education
- Loyalty to the school and ACA’s mission and vision
- Commitment to model moral character in line with the school’s core virtues and the pursuit of the Good, True, and Beautiful
- Adherence to all ACA policies, including but not limited to the Employee Handbook, Family Handbook, and all applicable school and board policies.
Ascent Classical Academy Charter Schools receive waivers from typical teacher licensing requirements. Thus, a teaching license is neither required nor preferred. Even with a bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject taught, general education grammar school teachers may be required to take state-required elementary education content exams in math, reading, social studies, and/or science within six months of beginning employment. Additionally, Ascent will assist K-3 teachers to meet the requirements of the Colorado READ Act, either through the Colorado Department of Education’s free training course or during Ascent’s pre-service training courses in explicit phonics. Successfully meeting these requirements includes a stipend payment.