Position Title: Firmware Engineer
Salary Classification: Exempt
Reports to: Engineering Manager
The Firmware Engineer will develop and support our industry-leading traffic products. The successful candidate will help create products that allow the visually impaired to safely experience the world on their own terms.
JOB DUTIES: Include but are not limited to the following:
- Maintain and enhance embedded software for existing product lines.
- Participate in the embedded software system design cycle from requirements through launch and beyond.
- Design, develop, code, test, and debug embedded software.
- Integrate, verify, and validate new product designs and design changes.
- Perform design and code reviews.
- Interface with a cross-functional engineering team.
- Support the Tech Support team with intimate product knowledge.
- Contribute to a fun and innovative work environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Electrical, Electronic, or Computer Engineering
- 5+ years of experience
- Strong understanding of embedded software development best practices.
- Familiarity with various ARM architectures (e.g. Cortex M4, M7, etc.).
- Familiarity with security basics (e.g. AES, TRNG, security certificates, etc.).
- Experience with common interfaces, such as SPI, I2C, I2S, UART, USB, Bluetooth LE, Wi-Fi, and Ethernet.
- Familiarity with networking concepts and protocols (UDP, TCP, HTTP, REST, CoAP).
- Ability to read schematics to troubleshoot, debug and bring up new hardware using oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, protocol analyzers and in-circuit emulators.
- Mastery of C language programming as it pertains to an embedded environment.
- Familiarity with OOP design principles, especially abstraction and encapsulation.
- Real time development experience with and without an RTOS.
- Experience programing peripheral hardware at the register level and developing peripheral driver code.
- Strong firmware debugging skills.
- Experience with version control systems like git.
- Familiarity with Linux.
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, organizational and follow-up skills.
- Solid problem-solving skills. Highly technical, quickly grasping how things work.
- Presents technical concepts, ideas, and information in terms that both engineers and non-engineers can understand.
- Motivated by continuous learning and development.
- Functions well in a small company/startup environment. (High visibility, accountability, and development velocity)
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and collaboratively with a cross functional team.
- Disciplined engineering approach.
- Differentiates value added activities from waste.
- Demonstrates systems thinking.