POSITION: People & Culture Coordinator
REPORTS TO: External HR Consulting team
LOCATION: On site at Williamstown from June 26 - August 13
COMPENSATION: $1,000 weekly
HIRING TIMELINE: Applications to be accepted until position is filled with a priority application deadline of March 10. Application review and interviews to be conducted starting March 13 with an anticipated start date of June 26.
The People & Culture Coordinator reports directly to the External HR Consulting team and works in collaboration with the Producer & Director of Organizational Culture, supporting the life cycle of the seasonal team through EDIA initiatives and maintaining a culture of respect and dignity.
- Assist with welcoming and on-boarding of seasonal employees as they acclimate onsite to Festival, including supporting training provided by People & Culture consultant
- Collaborates and works closely with external People & Culture consultant
- Intake and document appropriately all employee inquiries and grievances and facilitate resolution in alignment with the values and commitments of the Festival as outlined in the most recent Progress Report and Festival policies
- Ensure employee relations inquiries are responded to in a timely manner
- Resolve employee concerns where appropriate and, when necessary, elevate to the Senior HR Consultant or Producer & Director of Organizational Culture
- As requested, provide HR support to Senior Management Staff
- Facilitate and support Festival affinity group meetings
- Manage employee end of season survey process, including aggregating feedback into a summary report
- Assist with special projects as directed
- Other duties as assigned
- Embrace the Festival’s commitment to EDIA and Anti-Racism by actively participating in and encouraging behaviors among staff members that exemplify respect; interrupting microaggressions and other behaviors that hinder our EDIA and Anti-Racism efforts; engaging in the diversification of the workforce; demonstrating a degree of cultural competency that encourages healthy relationships with all company members
- Adhering to all Festival safety protocols
- An essential function of this job is in-person work in Williamstown, MA.
- Prior Human Resources or Social Work experience through internship or full time employment
- Training or expertise in conflict resolution
- Works with empathy and kindness
- Thrives in a people-centered environment
- Clear and thorough communicator, who can adeptly adjust communication styles to the matter at hand
- Deep appreciation for and/or understanding of theatremaking
Williamstown Theatre Festival has brought emerging and professional theater artists together for 68 years to create a thrilling summer festival of world premiere work alongside fresh, new revivals. New plays and musicals commissioned, developed, and produced at the Festival fill theaters around the world. In recent years, WTF has been represented on Broadway, Off-Broadway, and regionally by The Sound Inside, The Rose Tattoo, Grand Horizons, Seared, Selling Kabul, Unknown Soldier, and Lempicka, among others. Cost of Living, which premiered at WTF, received the 2018 Pulitzer Prize for Drama. Learn more at wtfestival.org.
Williamstown Theatre Festival’s season takes place on the beautiful campus of Williams College in Williamstown, MA with backdrops of the Berkshire, Green, and Taconic mountain ranges. Williamstown, MA (estimated pop. 7,813) is located in Berkshire County (estimated pop. 128,657) in Western Massachusetts and is an hour’s drive from Albany, NY and 30 minutes from Pittsfield, MA.
The Williams College campus and the 62’ Center for Theatre and Dance are within walking distance of Spring Street, which has several restaurants with dine-in and takeout options, a pharmacy, a coffee shop, an ice cream shop, a movie theater, and several stores. The nearest grocery store is a 10-minute drive from campus and not within walking distance. Having a personal vehicle does provide more flexibility in grocery-shopping and expands dining and activities options. For those who bring vehicles, parking is free at designated locations on Williams campus with a parking pass. For a list of all the things to do and see in Williamstown and the Northern Berkshires, visit DestinationWilliamstown.org.
All seasonal staff are provided housing free of charge on campus at Williams College. Housing is dorm-style with private bedrooms and shared common areas, including bathroom and kitchen. Williams College housing is not air-conditioned. Weather ranges from evenings on the cooler side but can also be quite warm with temperatures in the 90s with high humidity.
We acknowledge that Williamstown Theatre Festival is a Predominantly White Institution (PWI) located in a county that is 91% white, according to the US Census Bureau. We are actively engaged in the work of becoming a more equitable, diverse, inclusive, accessible, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive institution that not only welcomes BIPOC artists and staff but nurtures an environment that allows everyone to thrive. More specific actions on these efforts can be found in our Progress Report on our website: https://wtfestival.org/work-learn/.
Williamstown Theatre Festival is committed to telling diverse stories and to fostering an inclusive environment both onstage and off. We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates. We believe that opportunity, access, resources, and rewards should be available to and for the benefit of all. Therefore, WTF is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants shall be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, sex/gender (including pregnancy and gender identity), disability, military status, veteran status, marital status, familial status, ancestry, genetics, or any other class or characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Candidates from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply.