WHY WR? WithersRavenel has an environment ideal for people who are passionate about collaboration, community, and client success. Your reward for sharing your talent with us? OWNERSHIP! As a 100% employee-owned company, every employee is an owner—which adds a powerful and unique dimension to our vibrant company culture and purposeful work.
Individuals hired to fill this role are eligible to receive a New Hire Bonus, boot allowance, a company truck, and a company phone or phone stipend! All employees get competitive health benefits, 401k matching, 3 weeks of PTO, 9 paid holidays, endless professional development opportunities, and amazing co-workers!
Bring your talent and collaborative spirit and join our team of employee owners at WithersRavenel!
The Survey Party Chief supervises a field survey party. The Survey Party Chief possesses the ability to perform field calculations and complete proper field surveying techniques. This individual is responsible for the effective performance, training, and safety of all members of a field survey party. The Survey Party Chief possesses knowledge of land surveying principles and practices.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads a field survey crew engaged in making plane and/or geodetic surveys for construction, topographic, right-of-way, and control survey projects.
- Participates in pre-survey planning meetings with project managers, resident engineers, and contractor representatives.
- Assigns and monitors work and provides input for evaluation of survey crew members.
- Instructs and trains survey crew in survey methods, use of equipment, and field safety procedures.
- Gathers field survey data through use of conventional and Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) methods.
- Operates and maintain surveying equipment responsibly, including electronic total station, data collector, and GNSS equipment.
- Prepare and review organized field notes and drawings.
- Perform complex survey calculations; analyzes raw data for mathematical closure and geometric accuracy.
- Research existing record information, including record maps, plans, deeds, easements, and right-of-way documents; and maintains field data records, survey project files, and indexing systems.
- May perform mapping compliance or other related office survey duties as a temporary assignment in order to satisfy the training/experience requirement for the Professional Land Surveyor’s License.
- Operation of a company vehicle to travel to and from job sites.
- 3-7 years of progressive land surveying experience
- 1-3 years of experience as a Survey Party Chief
- Working knowledge of the principles and practices of land surveying, with a working history in boundary, route/control, construction, data collection/topographic types of Surveys.
- Progressive experience with field surveying practices and techniques, including radial staking, uses and capabilities of survey instruments, including electronic total station, data collector, theodolites, network control stations, and GPS measuring equipment.
- Strong verbal and written communication
- Reliable, self-motivated, engaged, and team-oriented
- Strong problem solving and technical skills
- Valid driver’s license and successful completion of a MVR driving records check
Preferred qualifications include:
- Ability to read and interpret engineering plans, collect data, operate and maintain complex precision surveying instruments, and engineering calculators.
The work is performed outdoors in such areas as landfills, construction sites, in swamps, residential neighborhoods, roadway work zones and wooded areas.
To perform the essential functions of the job, incumbents may be required to perform moderately strenuous tasks, such as lifting and carrying instruments weighing up to 50 pounds over rough terrain. Incumbents may also be required to clear vegetation, dig holes, and drive stakes with hand tools.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the position. All employees may have other duties assigned at any time.
WithersRavenel is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, military service, or other non-merit factors protected by federal, state, or local laws. At WithersRavenel, we strive to build and nurture a culture where diversity, inclusivity, and belonging are a normal part of doing business, not an initiative. We know through experience that different ideas, perspectives, and backgrounds create a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better results. By hiring highly talented people who align with our Core Values, we continue to enrich and broaden our ownership community, as well as the employee and client experience. This purposeful approach to diversity and inclusion leads to greater commitment, collaboration, and effectiveness in our culture, work, and lives.