**Residents of the San Fernando Valley area Strongly Preferred**
TreePeople is an environmental nonprofit organization that mobilizes individuals, families, communities, philanthropists, and public agencies to work together to create green, resilient communities by providing education on the benefits of planting trees, capturing the rainwater, greening schools, and providing fun environmental educational activities. TreePeople unites with communities to grow a greener, shadier and more water-secure region at homes, neighborhoods, schools and in the local mountains.
TreePeople is seeking to hire a San Fernando Valley resident, preferably who currently resides in and/or grew up in the San Fernando Valley, to join our team as a Community Organizer.
The Community Organizer will lead TreePeople’s community engagement efforts to maintain more than 1,000 recently planted and distributed trees in communities within the San Fernando Valley area. This individual will be responsible for making lasting connections with and between community members, community-based organizations, public agencies, churches, schools, parent centers, businesses and other key stakeholders in support of TreePeople’s mission to inspire, engage and support the community to increase the urban tree canopy and address climate threats in the San Fernando Valley and across the region.
- Lead community outreach efforts, recruiting a diverse group of stakeholders that includes but is not limited to residents, community-based organizations, faith-based groups, youth groups, parent centers, neighborhood associations, schools, advocacy groups, businesses, and public officials.
- Identify key community stakeholders in the project area(s) to leverage TreePeople’s work and establish and maintain relationships in the community.
- Serve as a community liaison by participating in and representing TreePeople at meetings, fundraising, marketing, membership, volunteer events, etc.
- Carry out TreePeople’s model for tree planting, tree care and community engagement.
- Recruit and train community champions to be Community Foresters.
- Lead community engagement events in which volunteers and organizers physically plant and care for trees.
- Support volunteer event preparation, helping to load trucks with supplies and tools.
- Assist other team members at volunteer events, including weekends and some evenings.
- Network and cultivate relationships with current and new community stakeholders.
- Maintain and update Spanish bilingual outreach materials for community events and presentations.
- Conduct tree care activities, such as watering, light pruning, and re-mulching.
- Integrate into or build coalitions, coordinate activities with coalition partners and recruit coalition members; coordinate the content and logistics for public events and large-scale mobilizations; and connect organizing work with research, public policy, and communications designated campaigns.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Community-oriented individual who is able to mobilize and understand the needs of San Fernando Valley residents.
- Possess knowledge of equity, inclusion and cultural competency.
- Strong leadership, team-building and problem-solving skills.
- Experience in project management skills and organizing strategy.
- Inspiring public speaking and interpersonal skills.
- Highly-organized, friendly, smart, proactive and a quick learner.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills: listening, negotiating, public speaking, and writing.
- Literate and passionate about local climate resilience and environmental issues impacting communities of color.
- English/Spanish bilingual.
- Driver’s license and proof of insurance required.
- Able to push, pull, lift, and carry up to 40 pounds.
- Able to stand and walk for long periods of time.
- Able to work outside for hours at a time at tree planting and tree care events, which includes physically digging holes, lifting equipment and planting trees, among other activities.