Ascent Classical Academy of Northern Colorado is seeking teaching assistants for the 23-24 school year to assist faculty members in the grammar school (grades K-6) in Windsor, Colorado, near Fort Collins.
At Ascent Classical Academies, teachers create their own lessons within the framework set by our content-rich curriculum, in collaboration with colleagues and in partnership with Hillsdale College's Barney Charter School Initiative. Support staff serve perform administrative or substitute functions so that teachers may focus on mastering the key elements of their instruction. Support staff have the opportunity to serve as teaching assistants, substitute teachers, student services paraprofessionals and/or lunch and recess aides.
Academic support staff, particularly teaching assistants work closely with each teacher in his/her assigned grade level(s). These positions require a highly organized, disciplined, and motivated individual to help support teachers in their routine administrative duties so teachers are able to focus on instruction. This position is responsible for a variety of duties throughout the day and week, including reinforcing instruction, preparing materials and equipment for classroom teachers, supporting the administrative and clerical needs of teachers, supervising students (including at recess and lunch as needed), substitute teaching, assisting with before- and after-school supervision and carline, and other duties as assigned.
Academic support staff are responsible for modeling, implementing, and continuously improving in the following areas, which may be modified at any time in the discretion of the school:
- Monitors student behavior and helps maintain order and discipline in the classroom
- Records in-class disciplinary actions and consequences.
- Oversees students during non-classroom times including in-between classes, transitions to and from co-curriculars, during lunch, recess, and carline
- Provides supervision and support during grade-level physical education classes.
- Provides individual or small group remediation or intervention as necessary.
- Assisting students who need special accommodations or are struggling with the lesson material.
- Assists students with becoming increasingly independent.
- Collaborates with assigned teacher to form a team dedicated to supporting instruction and discipline within the school environment. Teacher serves as team captain.
- Works with lead teacher to follow class schedule.
- Assists teacher with executing instruction and evaluating its effectiveness.
- Assists teacher with lesson preparation by getting materials ready and setting up equipment.
- Ensures classroom environment is safe and clean.
- Supports teachers in identifying students areas of growth and struggle and documenting student progress.
- Substitutes as lead instructor when teacher is absent or else supports substitute teacher as needed.
- Complies with state, school and class rules and regulations.
- Attends assigned training classes, parent conferences, and faculty meetings.
- Tracks attendance, bathroom logs, absent and makeup work.
- Grades homework, assignments, exams, or projects as directed by the teacher.
- Prepares lesson materials as directed by the teacher.
- Copies and distributes materials as directed by the teacher.
- Organizes student files and prepares take-home folders as directed by the teacher.
- Manages class and student supplies as directed by the teacher.
- Oversees organization of resources and materials within the classroom as directed by the teacher.
About Ascent Classical Academies
Ascent Classical Academies partners with a network of classical charter schools based in Colorado delivering a content-rich curriculum in the liberal arts and sciences, with underlying principles in the Western tradition of the study of history, literature, philosophy, and fine arts. Our American Classical Education includes, among other things, the study of Latin; a rich examination of American literary, moral, philosophical, political, and historical tradition; and a school culture centered upon moral virtue, respect, discipline, and studiousness among students and faculty alike. Ascent Classical Academy charter schools currently serve approximately 1,700 students in K-12 campuses located in the Denver and Fort Collins areas of Colorado, with significant expansion planned throughout Colorado, the Carolinas, and beyond.
Desired Start Date: August 1, 2023
Compensation Range and Particulars: $18.00 per hour
Schedule and Classification: Full-Time | Non-Exempt
- Employee-only coverage for group medical, dental, and vision plan; dependent coverage available
- Health savings account with employer contributions
- Short- and long-term disability and life insurance plans
- Retirement investment account with employer match
- Paid time off
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Free employee benefit and healthcare guidance through HealthJoy
- Paid leave for qualifying events under the Colorado FAMLI law and the Colorado Healthy Families and Workplaces Act
Qualified candidates will have a strong background in the subject matter, demonstrate high moral character and embrace the virtues of a democratic society. The successful candidate will also foster professional friendships with faculty and staff, seek collaborative relationships with parents, and mentor students in the pursuit of their own flourishing. The minimum job requirements include:
- High school diploma (associate's degree or higher preferred)
- Eligibility to work in the United States
- After offer is accepted, satisfactory background check as required by state law and Colorado Department of Education
- Conviction in the values of a rigorous liberal arts education
- Loyalty to the school and ACA’s mission and vision
- Commitment to model moral character in line with the school’s core virtues and the pursuit of the Good, True, and Beautiful
- Dedication to enhance the school’s culture of excellence and seek the good of the entire team
- Desire to deliver prompt, courteous, and superior customer service of the school’s faculty, staff, administration, students and families
- Adherence to all ACA policies, including but not limited to the Employee Handbook, Family Handbook, and all applicable school policies
- Punctuality and attendance
- Initiative and effort
- Professionalism in appearance and speech
- Cheerful attendance to other duties as assigned by the teacher or administration