Just because it's summer doesn't mean your education has to stop! Join our team of incredible interns! This is your one of a kind, behind-the-scenes experience into what it takes to make an Amusement Park operate!
This application is for those who will be attending college/university courses in the Fall of 2023. Students must be studying Culinary, Hospitality, or a similarly related field. The following is required to be uploaded within your application:
- Cover Letter
- If you are ServSafe Certified, please upload your certification with your Resume.
The Culinary Intern will support the kitchen operations through baker, fry cook, grill cook, prep cook, line cook, banquet production, ingredient inventory management, and administrative duties at Kentucky Kingdom & Hurricane Bay. In return, the intern will satisfactorily complete individual program requirements that satisfy college/university credit and/or course study requirements, if needed. Kentucky Kingdom will provide the intern:
- The opportunity to complete course credit for the term of the internship.
- Practical experience within a fast-paced and ever-changing work environment.
- The opportunity to apply theory with practice.
This is a paid internship.
Interns must be available to commit to 30 hours/week during peak summer months (June and July). If attending summer courses, a minimum of 20 hours will be acceptable.
Non-local interns must make arrangements for their own housing.
Students who meet the requirements of this internship will be presented with a Certificate of Completion following the program.
Summary of Major Responsibilities
- Attend Leadership Development classes as available.
- Attend weekly intern meetings to discuss events of the week and learn the different functions of an amusement park.
- Train and work in the following sections of internship designated roles by participating in all activities including, but not limited to, food preparation, merchandise handling, ware washing, inventory, and cleanliness and sanitation procedures: Baker, Fry Cook, Grill Cook, Prep Cook, Line Cook
- Act as quality assurance inspector for food, ensuring a high-quality product.
- Implement and possibly create “Plate Perfect” recipes.
- Assist in creating and implementing improvements in profit contribution and cost savings through menu creation.
- Execute special projects for the Food Department as determined by management.
- Be available/willing to work at different locations throughout the amusement and water park.
Management reserves the right to change and/or add to these responsibilities at any time.
- Ability to project Kentucky Kingdom’s image by being genuinely friendly, caring, and taking pride in work.
- Must display and live “Leading with Love” principles by being patient, kind, trusting, unselfish, truthful, forgiving, dedicated, humble, and respectful.
- Must be self-motivated and disciplined.
- Enthusiasm to constantly improve performance and workplace.
- Ability to prioritize and complete work assignments in a timely manner, including frequent changes in priorities.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and judgment regarding privileged information.
- Ability to maintain a professional appearance with good personal hygiene.
- Ability to promote and support a “team” work environment by cooperating with coworkers and resolving conflicts in a professional manner.
- Ability to be sensitive to the needs of guests and other team members and feel empowered to take action to meet their needs within company guidelines.
- Ability to learn quickly, retain information, and multi-task.
- Ability to memorize written safety procedures and implement them when appropriate.
- Ability to operate a Point-of-Sale system.
- Ability to comply with all Health Department, ServSafe, and company regulations pertaining to Food Safety Handling Procedures.
- Ability to perform other duties as assigned.
Required Experience and Capabilities
- Must be enrolled in a continuing education/college program.
- Must have basic computer skills and be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Must type at least 35 wpm.
- Reading, writing, and math skills necessary to:
- Communicate professionally in speaking and writing
- Contribute to written team communication and documentation.
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide in order to make change and operate a register
- Analyze statistical data
- Must maintain a professional, mature, focused, and articulate demeanor.
- Adaptability in work schedule and assignments, including working evenings, weekends, holidays, and overtime as necessary.
- Ability to report for work and return from all breaks in a timely manner.
- Ability to stand, sit, and walk for extended periods.
- Ability to reach, (including above shoulder) bend, squat, kneel, and handle items as needed.
- Ability to lift/carry and push/pull items as necessary, including lifting up to 30 pounds with or without a 2-person lift and 30+ pounds with a 2-person lift.
- Ability to work in extreme weather (temperatures up to 110°F, wind, and rain) and noisy conditions.
- Ability to tolerate approved exposure levels of various chemicals found in cleaning solvents.
- Ability to make confident decisions.
- Ability to work and maintain calm atmosphere in high stress, dynamic atmosphere, including potential emergency situations.
- Ability to work well with others of all ages, skills, and experience.
- Ability to successfully pass a drug screen & background check.
Kentucky Kingdom Theme Park, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Kentucky Kingdom provides a welcoming culture where ideas and decisions from all people support our efforts to be relevant in an ever-changing world.