Multiple Locations within Service Area
Office Location: 724 E. Huntington Drive, Monrovia 91016
In 1990, a small group of dedicated volunteers with a desire to eliminate substandard housing in our community founded San Gabriel Valley Habitat for Humanity. Thanks to our supporters, more than 200 local and international families have been able to build or repair their own homes here in Los Angeles’ San Gabriel Valley and beyond. Through the years, we have maintained our unrelenting determination to help families in need by offering a hand up, not a handout.
Through donations, shopping at our ReStores, volunteering or adding a voice to support affordable housing, everyone can help families achieve the strength, stability, and self-reliance they need to build better lives for themselves.
FLSA: Non-Exempt, Full-Time
Pay Range: $25-30/Hr
*Initial compensation will be determined based on the successful applicant’s qualifications and experience
The Construction Crew Leader will be a valuable asset to San Gabriel Valley Habitat for Humanity, providing vital support in new construction, rehabilitation, and repair projects for both new and existing homes. This role encompasses a diverse range of tasks, including completing new residential construction projects, undertaking critical home repairs, converting garages into accessory dwelling units, and performing comprehensive renovations of single-family houses or condos, among other construction initiatives as needed. Working closely with the Construction Site Supervisor, the Construction Crew Leader will play a key role in the day-to-day operations of job sites, ensuring the successful achievement of goals set by the Director of Construction, Construction Manager, and Site Supervisor. A crucial aspect of this role involves guiding and leading unskilled volunteers at various construction sites, homeowner occupied homes, and diverse job locations to ensure the smooth execution of projects and the achievement of the organization’s mission.
Essential Job Duties
- Assists with all aspects of the construction and repair of new projects and existing homes.
- Adhere and enforce Habitat for Humanity International and San Gabriel Valley Habitat’s construction policies and requirements for quality construction.
- Maintain a safe construction site according to CAL-OSHA standards, as directed by the Construction Site Supervisor.
- Provides leadership, guidance, and direction to volunteers who have come to work on the construction site, including the affiliate’s future homebuyers.
- Coordinates with the Site Supervisor to plan, schedule, and execute work scope and specific tasks.
- Assists the Construction Site Supervisor with the check-in of volunteers at work site and ensure that they have the necessary tools and safety equipment.
- Assists in the ordering and inventorying of building materials and tools.
- Conducts safety briefing and task instruction for all volunteers prior to beginning construction on the work site. Monitors jobsite throughout the day and ensures all safety protocols are adhered to.
- Assists in loading and unloading building materials and tools on site and into the warehouse.
- Attends all needed trainings and scheduled activities.
- Ensures that all covenants and policies are followed at construction sites.
- Assists in other duties as assigned.
Is committed to San Gabriel Valley Habitat for Humanity’s mission to eliminate substandard housing and make affordable housing a matter of conscience and action
Reporting Relationships and Organizational Impact
Upward Reporting Relationship:
Positions Reports to: Onsite Construction Site Supervisor
No oversight or accountability for other staff, but this position will lead and train skilled and unskilled volunteers.
Internal and External
Has regular contact with departments, employees and Managers at all levels of the internal organization as well as with External organizations, subcontractors, vendors, volunteers, homeowners, homebuyers, and donors
May influence the formulation of organizational policy, contractual obligations and employee morale
- 12 days paid time off per year plus increasing accruals amounts for longer tenure
- 10 paid holidays
- Employee recognition programs – your work is valued here!
- Amazing platinum and gold Healthnet and Kaiser health care plans
- Great dental and vision plan
- Life insurance policy
- 403(b) retirement company match
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Minimum of two years residential construction and remodeling, or related experience required.
- Previous experience in framing, roofing, window and door installation, finish carpentry, flooring, drywall, basic plumbing and electrical, siding installation, painting, landscaping, earthquake retrofitting, and accessibility modifications required.
- General residential construction knowledge required.
- Understanding of Habitat for Humanity’s philosophy and mission.
- Strong public speaking and communication skills.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Willingness to collaborate with all staff and learn new skills and abilities.
- Works independently as well as effectively collaborates with groups
- Has a valid driver’s license and is able to successfully pass a background screening.
- Able to work the positions fixed schedule of Tuesdays – Saturdays, 7am – 4pm.
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; and nothing in this herein restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
SGV Habitat for Humanity actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications. SGV Habitat for Humanity is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider all qualified individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans, regardless of race, religion, age, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetics, gender identity, or any other legally protected characteristic. SGV Habitat for Humanity will not inquire about a job applicant's criminal conviction history prior to making a conditional offer of employment.