Multiple Locations within Service Area
Office Location: 724 E. Huntington Drive, Monrovia 91016
In 1990, a small group of dedicated volunteers with a desire to eliminate substandard housing in our community founded San Gabriel Valley Habitat for Humanity. Thanks to our supporters, more than 200 local and international families have been able to build or repair their own homes here in Los Angeles’ San Gabriel Valley and beyond. Through the years, we have maintained our unrelenting determination to help families in need by offering a hand up, not a handout.
Through donations, shopping at our ReStores, volunteering or adding a voice to support affordable housing, everyone can help families achieve the strength, stability, and self-reliance they need to build better lives for themselves.
FLSA: Non-Exempt, Full-Time
Pay Range: $22-25/Hr
*Initial compensation will be determined based on the successful applicant’s qualifications and experience
This is a construction position to assist San Gabriel Valley Habitat for Humanity with rehabilitation, renovation, and repair of homes. This Crew Leader will be part of the Home Preservation Team – working on a variety of sites with pre-existing structures. Work will include but not be limited to completing a critical home repair project, garage conversion into ADU, full renovations of a single-family house or condo, and other construction projects as needed. This role will assist a Site Supervisor in the daily operation of the job site and ensure goals established by the Construction Manager and Site Supervisor are achieved. This work will require working with and leading unskilled volunteers at homeowner occupied homes and at diverse job locations. This position has a fixed schedule Tuesday – Saturday.
Essential Job Duties
- Assists with all aspects of the construction and repair of existing homes.
- Provides leadership, guidance, and direction to volunteers who have come to work on the construction site, including the affiliate’s future homebuyers
- Coordinates with the Site Supervisor to plan work scope, schedule, and specific tasks.
- Assists in the ordering and inventorying of building materials and tools.
- Conducts safety briefing and task instruction for all volunteers prior to beginning construction on the work site. Monitors jobsite throughout the day and ensures all safety protocols are adhered to.
- Assists in loading and unloading of building materials and tools on site and into the warehouse.
- Attends all needed trainings and scheduled activities.
- Ensures that all covenants and policies are followed at construction sites.
- Assists in other duties as assigned
Is committed to San Gabriel Valley Habitat for Humanity’s mission to eliminate substandard housing and make affordable housing a matter of conscience and action
Reporting Relationships and Organizational Impact
Upward Reporting Relationship:
Positions Reports to: Onsite Site Supervisor and Home Preservation Construction Manager
No management for other team members however this position may include supervision, oversight, or accountability for others.
Internal and External
Has regular contact with departments, employees and Managers at all levels of the internal organization as well as with External organizations, subcontractors, vendors, volunteers, homeowners, homebuyers, and donors
May influence the formulation of organizational policy, contractual obligations and employee morale
- 12 days paid time off per year plus increasing accruals amounts for longer tenure
- 10 paid holidays
- Employee recognition programs – your work is valued here!
- Amazing platinum and gold Healthnet and Kaiser health care plans
- Great dental and vision plan
- Life insurance policy
- 403(b) retirement company match
- High school diploma or GED required
- Minimum of two years residential construction and remodeling, or related experience required
- Daily tasks can include but are not limited to framing, roofing, window and door installation, finish carpentry, flooring, drywall, basic plumbing and electrical, siding installation, painting, landscaping, earthquake retrofitting, and accessibility modifications
- General residential construction knowledge required
- Understanding of Habitat for Humanity’s philosophy and mission
- Strong public speaking and communication skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Willingness to collaborate with all staff and learn new skills and abilities
- Takes initiative
- Works independently as well as effectively collaborates with groups
- Has a valid driver’s license and is able to successfully pass a background screening
- Able to work the positions fixed schedule of Tuesdays – Saturdays
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; and nothing in this herein restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
SGV Habitat for Humanity actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications. SGV Habitat for Humanity is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider all qualified individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans, regardless of race, religion, age, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetics, gender identity, or any other legally protected characteristic. SGV Habitat for Humanity will not inquire about a job applicant's criminal conviction history prior to making a conditional offer of employment.