Who we are:
Relm Insurance Ltd. (“Relm”) is not your typical insurance company, and we are seeking a unique underwriting professional to match our unconventional culture. Based in Hamilton Bermuda, Relm is the first IIGB (Innovative Insurer General Business) insurer regulated by the Bermuda Monetary Authority (“BMA”). We work with entrepreneurs who are pioneering new horizons in technology, digital assets, and the cannabis/alternative medicine spaces. We understand how challenging it can be to get coverage for emerging sectors, which is why our proposition to the marketplace is so critical.
What we are looking for:
We operate in a dynamic market that requires flexibility, creativity, critical thinking, excellent customer service, and the ability to execute. We tackle new and emerging risks that arise for entrepreneurs pioneering new horizons and therefore, we are looking for innovators, critical thinkers and leaders who are ready to dive into the unknown.
What we offer:
- A comprehensive health insurance plan, including medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Pension and coverage of payroll tax obligations (where applicable)
- We lead the market with highly competitive salaries, bonus plan & stock option plan
- Access to training and mentorship opportunities
- Educational stipends for learning & development in related fields and for designations
- An environment where your opinion is not only heard but crucial to our teams’ success
In this senior underwriting position, this individual is responsible for analysis of enterprise level risks for eligibility and risk selection. The individual must be comfortable with business law and contracts and familiar with corporate financial analysis for legal and regulatory risk identification. Must be able to represent RELM in client and broker meetings and lead internal and external discussions around coverage, terms, pricing, and deal structure.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist underwriting management in the execution of the corporate strategy through the underwriting of a new and renewal portfolio of accounts and products in accordance with business unit goals
- Grow and manage a profitable book of business that represents our appetite and our approach to insuring emerging sectors and innovative companies
- Conduct underwriting analysis in a fast-paced environment, from submission to policy issuance and post-issuance maintenance
- Exercise discretion and independent judgment in the analysis of eligibility and evaluation of risks for selection and inclusion into the portfolio (incl. command of the process from pursuit, receipt, review, evaluation, pricing, and negotiation of terms, conditions, and deal structure
- Build and enhance relationships with assigned brokers and clients and identify and establish new distribution relationships in accordance with business unit goals
- Participate in and lead, internal and external discussions on risk assessment, business opportunities, and renewal transactions in compliance with objectives and requirements
- Actively pursue and develop new business and identify meaningful opportunities to grow existing business relationships
- Negotiate with distribution partners (incl. brokers and producers) within the limits of delegated authority and in compliance with established underwriting standards to achieve productivity and profit objectives
- Maintain expertise across the variety of offered products and, services, sometimes while facing conflicting priorities.
- Target markets and opportunities for new business, while taking a consultative approach to effectively enabling clients to discover areas for risk transfer
- Promote the company's expertise by participating in industry conferences and events while regularly conducting and taking leadership roles in client and broker meetings
- Comfortably educate others on evolving financial and professional risks, RELM’s value proposition, and our offerings.
- Conduct research and collect market information relevant to the continuous improvement of our products and services as we dynamically meet market needs
- Handle data entry, weekly tracking of metrics, and analysis for routine reporting and monitoring of assigned, KPIs,
- Maintain compliance with all internal and external underwriting guidelines and legal requirements
- Develop and execute effective strategies to generate profitable business growth
- Support the development and execution of pricing objectives, profit improvement opportunities and combined ratio results for the FINPRO team.
- Participate in strategic projects, initiatives, product development, and other duties and ad hoc projects as assigned
- A minimum of 4 years of underwriting or equivalent experience with demonstrable knowledge of Financial & Professional Lines underwriting, business law, and financial risk analysis
- A bachelor's degree in business, management, insurance, accounting,, actuarial science, finance, information security, law or a related discipline (or demonstrated capabilities as equivalent)
- Professional designation in insurance underwriting, such as RPLU, CPCU, ACII, AU or similar
- Experience with policy and endorsement wording preparation
- Strong interest and conceptual comprehension in blockchain technology, cannabis, eSports, or financial markets, and other emerging sectors pushing the boundaries of innovation
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills along with an aptitude to assist others for collective improvement and productivity
- Strong attention to detail with a solid focus on accuracy and completeness
- A creative problem solver with strong critical thinking skills and an ability to look at problems from new and different anglesComfortable working in a fast-paced and collaborative team-centric environment
- An excellent communicator, who can clearly and authentically convey a written and verbal message that influences intended outcomes
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft applications (incl. Excel and PowerPoint)
- Excellent interpersonal skills and comfort with leading high-profile client and broker meetings
- Exceptional attention to detail and work ethics
- Comfortable navigating ambiguity and change and possess a natural curiosity
- Ability to work outside of core hours and travel overseas, as required