Diversity and inclusion are core values at Planned Parenthood of Central and Western New York (PPCWNY). PPCWNY recruits exceptional and diverse staff. PPCWNY strives to develop staff into leaders for a diverse and global workplace.
In support of Planned Parenthood of Central and Western New York (PPCWNY)’s mission, the Patient Care Assistant will work with the health center staff in providing education and counseling for patients and support services in all health center functions to ensure patients receive professional services in a timely manner.
Patient In-Take Process
- Independently handles the intake process by determining the reason for visit and assisting the patient with the completion of forms, releases, etc.
- Clearly and accurately records data in the Electronic Health Record including vital signs and medical/family/social history
- Performs routine tests, including but not limited to: urine pregnancy tests, HIV tests, blood draws, urine specimen collection and urine dips, as ordered by the provider
- Assists the Clinician, as requested, in the exam room by providing patient support, basic education about reproductive health care, birth control, STI’s, etc.
- Handles all other support functions required for an organized, smooth running health center
- Supports other members of the health center team by attending and participating in staff meetings; may assist with training of new staff or attending training workshops as required
- Responsible for opening and closing exam rooms according to written procedures
- Works on other projects as assigned by the Health Center Manager, Nurse or Director of Health Center Operations
- Participates in the annual update of all reference materials used in the health center to ensure accuracy and consistency in accordance with PPFA Medical Standards and Guidelines
- Participates in programs to ensure that cross training occurs leading to support of all health center programs/services
- Accepts individual and joint responsibility for, participates in, and works to achieve productivity, customer service, and capacity goals as set by PPCWNY
- Shows respect to all internal and external customers for differences in backgrounds, lifestyles, viewpoints and needs in areas such as race, gender, ethnicity, creed, sexual orientation and others
Patient Services Support
- Prepares specimens for lab pick-up
- Assists in preparation, set-up, breakdown, cleaning and storage of all patient service rooms, supplies, equipment, and documentation on a daily basis
- Assists in surgical abortion service areas such as products of conception, recovery room, procedure room support, etc.
- Provides comfort measures, counseling, birth control/STI information, and follow-up appointment scheduling as needed
- Provides information on reproductive health issues and when needed, assists with patient referrals, phone calls, reports, and follow-up as directed within the protocol guidelines of PPCWNY
- High school diploma or GED and a minimum of 1 to 2 years of experience in a healthcare position, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Medical Assistant Training or CNA highly desired
- Must have excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with staff; ability to work in a fast-paced environment; able to juggle multiple priorities a must
- Computer skills including basic Microsoft Office, email and use of Electronic Health Records strongly preferred
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule with ability to travel to multiple sites as needed
- Must have reliable transportation and a valid NYS driver’s license not in jeopardy of being revoked
- Planned Parenthood seeks candidates who have experience delivering care and services to a racially and ethnically diverse service populations
- Planned Parenthood seeks candidates who have proficiency in one of the following languages, including but not limited to: Spanish, Nepali, Arabic, and Swahili
- A commitment to Planned Parenthood of Central and Western NY (PPCWNY)’s mission, vision and values along with a commitment to providing services to a diverse range of clients and to the goals of PPCWNY is essential