Reports To: Chief Financial and Operating Officer
Supervisory Responsibilities: Yes
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Every year, thousands of young people in Philadelphia dropout of school. This decades-long dropout crisis impacts individual lives by sustaining the cycle of underemployment and poverty, and threatens Philadelphia’s ability to thrive.
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School was founded in 1992 to give high school dropouts a second chance and the opportunity to build a brighter future for themselves and their community. Our innovative program offers young at-risk adults a high school diploma, valuable job skills, and the opportunity to learn and grow in a community-oriented, supportive environment. We prepare our students for further educational attainment and meaningful careers as they become leaders and contributing members in a stronger Philadelphia.
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School’s mission is to empower young adults (18-20 year-olds) to develop skills and connect to opportunities by fostering an environment of love, support, and respect for their whole person. Students graduate high school and successfully transition to college and career as critically conscious leaders, committed to positive change for themselves and their communities.
YBPCS’ values are deeply held and come from a love of humanity and a perspective that views each student as a community asset. The program’s three core values - respect, excellence and perseverance – are reinforced through all aspects of the program.
Young people in Philadelphia who are disconnected will build skills and access resources and opportunities to achieve economic stability and personal development, and become critically conscious leaders within their communities.
The Director of Information Technology and Security will be responsible for providing leadership, guidance, and support in the growing Information Technology (IT) and Information Security (IS) programs. The successful candidate must have excellent people-management and technical skills, and possess a strong track record of managing and delivering challenging projects in the IT/IS spaces.
At a strategic-level, the candidate must be able to demonstrate an ability to plan, budget, and align IT/IS goals, as well as facilitate YBP’s growth by defining, developing, and delivering on a 3-5 year IT/IS modernization and maturity strategy. This risk-based strategy must be aligned with organizational objectives and build up industry-leading guidance, standards, and/or frameworks taking into account the legal and compliance obligations of the organization. Ensure program initiatives and deliverables are progressing as expected (throughout the plan, build, and run phases), the development and delivery of a measurements/metrics/KPI program will be expected.
- Support and growth of YBP’s hybrid infrastructure (on-prem/cloud)
- Lead the development and documentation of robust policies and procedures for managing the datacenter and infrastructure, including backup and disaster-recovery planning, outage management, et.
- Establish and deploy metrics and reporting framework to measure the performance, integrity, and reliability of the datacenter and infrastructure
- Work closely with YBP’s leadership and executives to develop and execute a security, cloud, and network infrastructure modernization strategy to address the evolving needs of the organization
- Provide leadership, develop, and maintain information security policies, standards, and guidelines; oversee the dissemination and awareness of security policies and best practices
- Identify knowledge gaps to increase organization-wide awareness of relevant information security practices
- Monitor external threat environment for emerging threats and advise relevant stakeholders on courses of action, including conducting gap analysis and other comprehensive internal assessments of existing systems to improve the security infrastructure and mitigate risks
- Lead investigations of any actual or potential information security violations and manage escalation of security events; assist with related legal matters associated with such events as needed and make recommendations to correct or prevent future incidents
- Manage Information Technology/Security vendor relationships and contracts as needed
- Work closely with YB leadership to develop and manage the IT/IS budget
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief Financial and Operating Officer
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Information Systems, or related field (Master’s preferred)
- CCNP, MCSE, AWS, ITIL, PMP certifications, etc. preferred
- Minimum of 5 - 7 years’ experience in IT and/or IS, with at least 3 years in a management role
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead teams, manage a complex IT infrastructure environment, and deliver complex projects in a fast-paced and challenging environment
- Experience with comprehensive cloud architecture and operations with AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, or other public cloud environment
- Extensive knowledge and experience with a broad range of infrastructure, virtualization, storage, disaster recovery and datacenter systems, networking, security policies, database systems, etc.
- In-depth experience in managing Windows-based environments
- Proven track record and experience in developing information security programs, policies and procedures, including successful implementations in small business & enterprise environments
- Professional security management certification, such as Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), or similar credentials desired
- High degree of initiative, dependability; experience managing multiple, simultaneous, high-profile cloud and infrastructure projects
- Strong vendor management and negotiation skills to identify and leverage external resources to enhance capabilities as needed to support YBP’s business needs
- Strong leadership, project management, and written & verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, strong customer service orientation, and the ability to partner effectively with all levels of the organization, including expectation setting. The ability to influence through listening, writing, and presenting
- Demonstrate leadership, creativity, enthusiasm and the ability to work effectively with all stakeholders both in and outside of the organization
- Excellent analytical skills, attention to detail and accuracy, and strong work ethic. Proven track record of excellent follow-through and execution in a demanding, high growth environment
- Excellent leadership, motivational, training, and organizational skills
- Think broadly, recognizing the impact of decisions and actions on the entire organization and its customers. Displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment, and make timely decisions;
- Consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment;
- Resourceful and able to find creative solutions, thinking beyond current systems and approaches toward continual improvement;
- Desire to be part of a hardworking, collaborative, fun and values-driven team.
- Strong commitment to educational equity and social justice for low-income communities of color. Demonstrated commitment to progressive social change and ability to engage in strategic and analytical thinking around issues of social justice.
- Mission driven to work with YB’s student body
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills
- Advanced Google Suite skills
- Commitment to social justice
- Demonstrated values that align to Restorative Practices
- Clearance Requirements
- FBI - Criminal History Report
- PATCH - Pennsylvania Police Department - Criminal Background Check (and/or applicable based on State of residency)
- PA Child Abuse History Clearance
- TB Test Results
- Act 24 - Arrest Conviction Form
- NSOPW - National Sex Offender Clearance