Warehouse Generalist – Order Filler
Regular Full-time Position Available (40 hours/week)
Starting Hourly Rate: $18.00
The Food Share provides ALL employees with the following benefits:
- Competitive pay
- 12 paid holidays each year
- Earned vacation and sick leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- 401K retirement contributions
Regular Full-Time Employees who work 30 or more hours per week are also eligible to receive a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Vision and Dental Insurance
- Disability, Life Insurance, and AD&D Insurance
** This position is Open Until Filled – Applications will be reviewed as they are received. For immediate consideration, apply soon!
Marion Polk Food Share is the regional food bank bringing people together to end hunger in Marion and Polk Counties. Support from our local community makes it possible for the Food Share to collect and distribute nutritious food for children, adults, and seniors through more than 100 partner programs, including food pantries, meal sites and home-delivered meals and to carry out programs to address the root causes of hunger.
Our Mission: “to bring people together to end hunger and its root causes.”
At the Food Share, our commitment is to:
- Treat all people as our neighbor.
- Encourage creativity and be willing to take risks.
- Listen first and seek to understand.
- Focus on shared goals.
- Celebrate diversity, ensure dignity, and act equitably.
Statement of Purpose:
The Warehouse Generalist-Order Filler has an essential role in fulfilling food orders for distribution to the Food Share’s network of partner agencies so they can provide valuable hunger relief food to our neighbors in need.
Summary of Role:
The Warehouse Generalist works as part of a team to fill and prepare agency orders for distribution and helps to maintain efficient product flow through the warehouse.
Core Areas of Responsibility
- Accurately fills food orders for partner agencies.
- Works with the warehouse team to assist in managing the product flow through the warehouse.
- Cross-trained in all warehouse functions.
- Maintains a clean and safe work environment.
**This position has no supervisory responsibilities but may provide leadership, guidance and training to volunteers.
Areas of Responsibility, Evaluation and Essential Functions:
- Accurately fills food orders for partner agencies.
- Responsible for accurately filling, staging, and loading food orders for MPFS’s 100 partner agencies (food pantries and meal sites.)
- Maintains a courteous and professional work environment for volunteers, staff, partner agencies and community members.
- Maintains proficiency with a computer-based inventory management system, works independently and trains others on the system as needed.
- Assists in recording and maintaining accurate orders and inventory data in paper and electronic records.
- Assists in managing product flow between two warehouses and according to first in, first out (FIFO) standards.
- Receives, sorts and places food products in warehouse while keeping goods free from damage and consistent with food safety best practices.
- Functions as a team player with all other Warehouse staff to step in and assist other positions when needed.
- Cross-trains in other Warehouse Generalist positions (Cooler Assistant, Receiving Assistant, and VAC Assistant).
- Assists in loading and unloading trucks for food distribution. May ride with drivers to assist with deliveries as needed.
- Maintains a Clean and Safe Work environment.
- Assists in maintaining cleanliness of warehouse, freezers and coolers.
- Promotes a safe work environment and informs Warehouse Manager of any accidents or incidents while on the job.
- Demonstrates proper lifting techniques to mitigate injuries.
- Other duties as assigned
Education and/or Experience; Certificates, /Licenses/Registrations:
- One year of experience working in a warehouse, production or food processing environment.
- Prior experience in order filling and with Warehouse Management System.
- Basic math and reading skills with legible handwriting.
- Basic computer skills in Microsoft Office, ability to learn Warehouse Inventory System.
- Pallet jack and forklift certified or able to become certified at hire.
- Must pass pre-employment drug screen (THC excluded) and full background check.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Able to work solo and with volunteers, staff, and community partners as part of a team.
- Good written and verbal communication skills. Must be able to communicate in person, by phone and in writing.
- Able to work well under pressure, with frequent interruptions and shifting priorities and exercise sound judgement daily.
- Able to come in to work on time and daily, and work a flexible schedule for special events, including occasional weekends and nights.
- Must support the Marion Polk Food Share mission and philosophy.
Job Conditions: Work may be performed standing, kneeling, or bending for prolonged periods of time. Work may be performed outside or in a warehouse environment. Will frequently lift, move, and carry objects more than 50 pounds and push and pull loads up to 1500 pounds on carts and pallet jacks. Work is subject to varying indoor and outdoor temperatures and road and walkway surface in all seasons.
Remote work is NOT possible for this position.
The Food Share provides essential services to our neighbors in Marion and Polk counties. As a result, all Food Share employees may be asked to report to work during local public health, weather, or other environmental emergencies.