The Chicago Sun-Times is the hardest-working paper in America, covering the stories and issues that matter most to Chicagoans with depth, integrity, and grit. The newsroom has earned eight Pulitzer Prizes for its hard-hitting investigative reporting, in-depth political coverage, insightful sports analysis, entertainment reviews, and cultural commentary. An industry-leading innovator in local news, it has been recognized nationally for expanding digital and multimedia reporting platforms alongside its indomitable newspaper, the oldest continuously published daily in the city.
In January 2022, the Sun-Times merged with public radio station WBEZ with a shared mission to strengthen local journalism in Chicago. Under the banner of Chicago Public Media, Chicago Sun-Times Media, Inc. (CSTM) is now part of one of the largest nonprofit news organizations in the nation. This merger reinforces our commitment to serving Chicagoans with the news that matters most -– fact-based, unbiased journalism deeply connected to Chicago communities.
We are looking for an experienced assistant city editor responsible for focusing on the Sun-Times’ online news copy to ensure it meets our standards of excellence while supervising a group of reporters and their daily news coverage. The job also might include working some nights and weekends.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or an equivalent major
- Minimum five years of experience in journalism with at least two years of experience managing reporters
- Mastery of AP style and grammar
- A sharp eye for spotting typos and holes in news stories.
- The desire and ability to work in a collaborative and collegial environment that focuses on putting out the best, most comprehensive news coverage for our readers
- Flexibility with work hours
What We Offer
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- Opportunity to work within a collaborative team culture
- A hybrid/remote work schedule
- Opportunity to be part of an iconic brand!
The information contained in this job description is not intended to create any contractual or other legal commitment. CSTM may change the content or format of this job at any time at its sole and exclusive discretion without notice. This role does not offer sponsorship employment benefits.
CSTM does not discriminate in its employment decisions based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, citizenship or national origin, veteran status, or on any other basis which would violate any applicable federal, state, or local law.