JOB TITLE: Grants Manager
REPORTS TO: Director, Grants Management
The Grants Manager will support the Foundation’s program team with operational knowledge and project management responsibilities throughout the lifecycle of a grant. This role will serve a key role in ensuring the foundation’s due diligence and grant protocols are being followed, as well as support grantmaking process improvement initiatives and data-related projects. This person will be the primary administrator for the Foundation’s grants management system (GivingData).
- Manage funding requests through grant lifecycle from idea to application to execution of grant contracts and ensure internal and external contract obligations are met.
- Provide leadership and supervision to grants associates. Oversee day-to-day work; set goals and priorities; delegate work; managing performance; coach and mentor; and create a positive and productive work environment.
- Identify opportunities for and propose initiatives for process improvement for grants management activities.
- Ensure the Foundation’s current due diligence, compliance and internal review processes are up to date in the grants management system. Follow related policies in processing grants.
- Exercise data quality assurance throughout the grantmaking and reporting process in accordance with IRS and Foundation policies.
- Prepare data and budget reports for Foundation Directors and Board.
- Support grantees through the grant application, funding and reporting processes.
- Maintain knowledge of active grant details and oversee grant development timelines.
- Manage records in the database to ensure compliance.
- Ensure proper document retention of paper and electronic files.
- Serve as primary system administrator of GivingData, including process improvements, quality assurance, implementing system updates, and maintaining data integrity and accuracy.
- Serve as the primary contact with GivingData to resolve issues and questions related to the database system.
- Liaise with Foundation staff regarding system enhancements and plan, test and deploy updates to existing functionality.
- Ensure information is captured in grants management database in an accurate and timely manner.
- Create, monitor, and maintain automated workflows and processes and creation of system generated templates and automated notifications.
- In collaboration with the Director, Grants Management and the Director, IT, develop on-going protocol to audit the grants management system design.
- Create, maintain, and update grants management system operations and training documentation.
- Support dynamic and time-sensitive board book creation including multiple revisions.
- Develop a network of peers in the field as a potential source of new ideas and/or strategies for the Foundation.
- Participate in Foundation committees and special projects as requested.
- Provide planning, project management, and analytical support to the Director, Grants Management as needed.
We seek a team member with experience in a similar professional capacity who is enthusiastic about using their knowledge to support the Foundation in achieving its mission. The successful candidate should have the following experience and qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of three years of related experience.
- Experience with database management, utilizing system reporting capabilities and maintaining and updating system forms and workflow processes.
- Strong project management experience through multiple lifecycles and iterations with a proactive attitude in finding solutions to technical and administrative questions from staff and grantee organizations.
- Manage a variety of responsibilities related to research, analysis, and coordination of programmatic and administrative activities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to make complex issues understandable and relevant to external audiences.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office, Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Experience supervising or managing teams preferred.
- Specific knowledge of GivingData, Tableau, project management tools, grantmaking operations, grants management systems, and private foundation compliance standards are a plus.
We believe it is both an honor and a great responsibility to work for Houston Endowment, so we are committed to our values and seek colleagues who share our commitment.
- High Performing: We bring our best every day so we:
- Hold high standards and drive for excellence
- Challenge ourselves and show determination in pursuit of our collective goals
- Pursue continuous improvement, even when we have achieved our intended outcomes
- Stay curious to do our best work
- Courageous: We know bold action matters so we:
- Hold an audacious vision for what we can accomplish together
- Work proactively, take risks, and make difficult choices when necessary
- Choose optimism, show resilience, and stay engaged in challenging situations
- Committed: We care deeply about the organization so we:
- Prioritize and commit to the mission of the organization
- Seek and act on feedback on our work, and devote energy to our own development to be at the top of our field
- Gather diverse perspectives and expertise in service of better results
- Connected: We care deeply about each other so we:
- Build relationships with one another to create a highly effective team
- Start with trust, assume others have good intentions, and practice generosity of spirit
- Address issues directly to resolve conflict or misunderstanding
- Embrace inclusion and adapt as appropriate when partnering with others
Salary will be set in accordance with the successful candidate’s experience. In addition to salary, the candidate will be eligible for the Foundation’s comprehensive employee benefits programs, including health, dental, and vision plans, time off, life insurance, short- and long-term disability as well as matching 401(k) and pension retirement plans.
Apply at www.houstonendowment.org. We will contact candidates who most closely match our requirements. We thank you in advance for your interest.