Atlanta Classical Academy seeks a part-time Teaching Assistant for grades K-6. Elementary School Teaching Assistants support homeroom teachers and share responsibility for the education of their students. They are expected to demonstrate high moral character and work collaboratively to create a working and learning environment for all students that is safe, secure, and respectful. This position would report to the Principal on our Atlanta campus.
The responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist the lead teachers with lesson preparation, instruction, and classroom management.
- Instruct students individually or in small groups.
- Develop the intellect and character of every student.
- Oversee student behavior and discipline in a manner consistent with the school’s mission to develop students of character and virtue.
Qualified candidates will meet the following requirements:
- Bachelor's degree required
- Experience working with children required
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with and conviction for the values of a classical, liberal arts education and the ability to hold students accountable to a high standard of conduct.
- Ability to adhere to the school’s dress code as outlined in the employee handbook is required.
Strong candidates will support the school’s Mission: to develop students in mind and character through a classical, content-rich curriculum that emphasizes the principles of virtuous living, traditional learning, and civic responsibility. They will have enthusiasm for the Vision: to be a nationally regarded K-12 classical school and serve as a local and national incubator for growth and promotion of classical education. And they will embody the school’s organizational values. We value
- the tenets of classical, liberal arts education;
- community and partnership in the common pursuit of forming intelligent, virtuous citizens;
- excellence in teaching and learning;
- the virtues we aim to teach our students: courage, courtesy, honesty, humility, perseverance, self-government, and service.
About Atlanta Classical Academy:
Atlanta Classical Academy is an open-enrollment, public charter school open to students who reside within the Atlanta Public Schools district. The school opened in 2014 with grades K – 8, and has added a grade each year as students have advanced. It is now a K – 12 academy. The children of full-time employees have enrollment preference and would be offered a seat in the school.
Atlanta Classical Academy is an equal-opportunity employer. Interested candidates should apply via the school’s career site. Candidates must attach a letter of introduction, a C.V. or resume, and three character references to their application. For staff positions, please also attach a 300-500 word answer to how your work will contribute to fulfilling the school’s mission. For faculty positions, please attach a 300-500 word “statement of educational philosophy.”